history channel photo effects, how do they do that?

ZZ
Posted By
Zodie_Z_Zodiacal
Oct 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

How does the history channel make 2d photos apear 3d? I found out how to do the zooming i.e. ken burns effect. but on some photos they cut around the people or objects and then have a ken burns zooming animation effect that apears to make the cut out’s 3d. does this make sence, anyone watch the history channel and see this? how is it done? might be more of a video question rather than a image question…. my question doesn’t have to do with real 3d, like 3d glasses or anything. They literaly cut out people and objects in a photo and then make the cut outs a little larger than the background and then move them in such a way that it apears 3d, altho everything is still flat.. its just a simple hack that they do for old old old photos to apear more entertaining to watch….

James

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Oct 26, 2005
You’ve pretty much answered your own question. Umm, unless it wasn’t really a question, but more of a quick explanation.

Q: "How does the history channel make 2d photos apear 3d?" A: "They literaly cut out people and objects in a photo and then make the cut outs a little larger than the background and then move them in such a way that it apears 3d, altho everything is still flat"

As for what they use to present the foreground/background motion, I suspect they bring the layers into any pro-level video software and do the movement there. Might be Apple’s Motion, or Final Cut Pro (I’m pretty sure much of the History Channel’s producers work on Macs, but that’s fairly irrelevant), or maybe one of the Adobe apps…there are any number of pro-video compositing applications in which this would be pretty easy to do.
ZZ
Zodie_Z_Zodiacal
Oct 26, 2005
can adobe premire do this? do i have to move the layers manualy? or is there some kind of automatic way of having them slowly move, and move at differnt speeds for differnet layers (distances).
P
Phosphor
Oct 26, 2005
I don’t use video software, but what I know about it is that the pro- and prosumer-level apps allow for layers and timelines (like Flash). How much can be done automatically is a question you’d be better off asking on video forum.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections