Posted By
Cid_H
Oct 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

After my PC crashed it flattened the PSD file I was working on to a single layer that was solid black. I checked the folder I saved it in and the thumbnail displays fine with how it is supposed to look, but when I open the file it’s just a single layer.

Ever heard of this problem and is there a way around 4 days worth of work?

Thanks,
Cid
😀

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 25, 2005
Ouch! Uhm, the only thing I can think of is to open it in Image Ready and see if the layers are present – they’re probably not, but if they are, you can save it as a psd again.

I use Norton GoBack, for reasons like that.

Peace,
Tony
CH
Cid_H
Oct 25, 2005
Well, as you suspected, Image Ready couldn’t view the other layers. I ran GoBack yesterday and it didn’t fix anything even though I reverted it back about 14 hours. One possible thought might be that I reverted it back just a few minutes shy of when the incident occured.

Oh well…I still have a saved JPG version of it to refernece when I rebuild it later today.

Thanks,
Cid
😀
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 25, 2005
I ran GoBack yesterday

You should be able to right click on the file and choose Revisions. GoBack will find all deleted/overwritten version that it may have stored.
CH
Cid_H
Oct 25, 2005
I’m using Windows 2k Pro and I do not see that in the menu when I right click on the PSD file. Actually, that file is a Windows’ "Open With…" icon even though it displays what the PSD file looks like.
What next?

Ty,
Cid
😀
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 25, 2005
Here’s what I do…

Go to the actual saved psd in explorer. Then right click on the file. If Show Revisions isn’t listed in the popup, then choose Properties. It should be a tab.

Optionally, you can launch goback, and search for that filename with File and Version Rescue.
CH
Cid_H
Oct 25, 2005
Here is a screen shot <http://www.hallofwebs.com/forums/adobe/ps/ss-3.gif> of my property tabs. Revisions is not one of them. Also, what version of GoBack are you running? Because all I see on mine is the ability to revert the entire drive. Maybe vs3.1 doesn’t have individual file reverting capability.

Cid
😀
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 26, 2005
Interesting. I have goback 4.0, but the only reason I bought it was because I had Goback when it was from Wildfire. In both versions, the properties tab shows revisions, on XP Pro and Win98 SE.

I don’t have experience with your version on Win2K, but I can’t see them being that dramatically different. But if you’re saying that the GoBack menu only allows a drive revert, #1, that’s VERY odd because the version before it and after it had other options, and #2, I’m not sure I can help that much.

Sorry man. But DO look into the documentation – I can’t believe that they would have temporarlily left out major features like that – or, maybe it’s a 2K/security thing <shrug>, I dunno.

Peace,
Tony
CH
Cid_H
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks. I’ll look into it.

Cid
😀

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections