DP
Posted By
Dave_Patterson
Jul 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is probably a problem with QXP or a QXP extension, but I’m hoping someone on this forum may have an explaination.

If I have a QXP 4.11 document open, and edit an image in Phothshop 7 that has been placed in the QXP document, I cannot resave the image (unless I save it with a different name). I get an error message saying the image is in use. Someone else on the macdesign.com Quark forum has experienced this same problem, but we haven’t found a solution.

Even after closing the QXP document, I still get the same error message when I attempt to resave the image. The only way to avoid the error message is to QUIT QXP altogether! I can then save the image, but I have to reboot QXP, and reopen the document. This is a major hassle, as I often work with many images that need work in Photoshop, and I often need the QXP document open so I can determine size, crop, rotation information.

This is ONLY happening with my client’s QXP document. Could they be using a QXP extension that is causing this conflict?

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Dave

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Dave_Patterson
Jul 29, 2004
Anyone have any info on this? Its a major time bandit, probably a QXP problem, but I still don’t have an answer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I’ve seen similar comments on the QXP and macdesignonline.com forums, but no one has found a solution for this (or even a cause).

regards,
Dave
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 29, 2004
You may have started Quark by clicking on the document that uses the image. Quit Quark, start Quark, than open the file you need.
DP
Dave_Patterson
Jul 29, 2004
Laurentiu,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’ll give it a try ASAP.

regards,
Dave
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 29, 2004
An easier and quicker way to do this is to make the changes to the Photoshop file from inside QXP.

Edit menu > Subscriber Options > Open Publisher.
That should let you open the file in Photoshop.
Make changes and close the Photoshop file.
In QXP, double click on image and choose "Get Edition Now". The updated image will appear in the QXP document.
—–

An even better idea is to dump QXP and get InDesign.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 29, 2004
I thought you’d show up with your banner, Ann : )

The practice of starting an application by double clicking on a document or Open[ning] Publisher, doesn’t work well in a networked environment.

I took a look at InDesign and it has an impressive set of features. The few dissapointments I already had with it will not stop me from learning, but our customers (mainly Advertising Agencies) keep sending Quark files, so I’m not in a hurry.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 29, 2004
<< The practice of starting an application by double clicking on a document or Open[ning] Publisher, doesn’t work well in a networked environment. >>

Which is actually a blessing because opening Photoshop files across a network is the worst of ideas—whichever way you do it.

However, Dave never mentioned if he was working across a network.

[ Re InDesign: the more that you work with it, the more that you will appreciate what has been achieved so that you will soon be offering to PAY your clients to dump QXP.]
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 29, 2004
Yes!
(you’re right)

No!
(he didn’t mention it, but I suspect he is working across a network)
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 29, 2004
Just a hunch, do you by any chance have that Enhanced Preview extemsion in Quark turned on? It is a known troublemaker.

Ran QXP4 in Crashic for a couple months. I won’t say without problem but that certainly wasn’t one of them.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 29, 2004
In New York City, QuarkXPress is still well entrenched with agencies, corporate art departments, and service bureaus. So it isn’t always a practical solution to get some of these folks to simply "dump" XPress for InDesign.

I use XPress myself — I have to try Ann’s suggestion. But I don’t recall having any issues saving a modification to a Photoshop file simultaneously being accessed by QXP v5. I just have to update the QXP document at some point so that it saves the changes.

But I sometimes have problems trying to empty the trash of some QXP documents I was working on but no longer need (can’t recall the exact circumstances at the moment), until I quit QXP.

Neil
DP
Dave_Patterson
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks for the prompt replies. It turns out to be the Enhanced Preview extension! I disabled this, relaunched QXP, opened a file in PS, resaved it…NO ERROR MESSAGE!!!!! What a relief.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and help. This has been a major time bandit, but only with files from one client. This is a major relief.

Now the question is, am I missing much without the Enhanced Preview extension, and is there an update for this? I’ll check the Quark web site.

And, yes, I have every intention of working with InDesign, but many clients are still using QXP and legacy QXP files.

regards,
Dave
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 29, 2004
In my opinion you are not missing a single thing by disabling the Enhanced Preview in QXP 4. Maybe a different story in 6 because text in eps files will not display without it but it’s not really needed in 4.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections