RE
Posted By
Richard_E_Sledden
Oct 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
All of my PSD files are saved as "Photoshop Elements" files. How can I change my default? I am running CS2. I had Photoshop Elements 2 on my computer before I installed CS2 upgrade from 7.0.1.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
Jim
Oct 22, 2005
wrote in message
All of my PSD files are saved as "Photoshop Elements" files. How can I change my default?
I am running CS2. I had Photoshop Elements 2 on my computer before I installed CS2 upgrade from 7.0.1.
That is merely a label and has no significance (just a reminder of what kind of file this is). You can access the file types through the control panel. Read the help file on changing file types before you start. Jim
DC
David_Cornwell
Oct 23, 2005
One way to make this change is the following:
Go to Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types>PSD. Click on PSD and you will see "Opens with:" "Photoshop Elements" Click on "Change" and you will see a list of programs. There you can change it to Photoshop CS2.

David Cornwell
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 23, 2005
To amplify on what David said: Windows creates "file associations" based solely on the (usually three-letter) extension following the dot in a file name. It can only create one association for opening any given "type" of file. If two applications use the same extension, all of the files they create will be described as the same kind of file. That’s what is happening with PS and PSE, both of which use .psd as their native file type. The most recently installed program typically grabs the extension (if it’s well designed, it gives you the opportunity to choose whether to do this). The file association is irrelevant if you are opening files from within the correct program; it will affect which program is used to open files from Windows Explorer or from an email attachment or website.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections