Posted By
Sarah_Schrock
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

I’m running Photoshop 7 on my 17" G4 Powerbook with 512MB RAM installed (runnng OS X Jaguar).. everything works great except for one thing. I have 641 fonts installed in the fonts folder in my Library folder, and not all of them show up in Photoshop’s pull-down font menu. This is frustrating for me because there’s a particular font I want to use in a project, and it doesn’t show up at all. What can I do to get Photoshop to "see" all of my fonts? Or does the app have a limit on how many fonts can be displayed? Your input/advice would be much appreciated — thanks!

Sally S.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
Please do a forum search on Photoshop font limit. This has been discussed here countless times. You need a font management utility so that you have only a few fonts active at any given time, just those you need,
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
You can download a trial (but fully operational) version of FontAgent Pro here: <http://www.insidersoftware.com/>

Most of us reckon that it is the best of the font management tools.
SS
Sarah_Schrock
Jul 28, 2004
Ramon and Ann,

I appreciate your advice greatly… I’ll give FontAgent Pro a try and see what happens there. I had to laugh because Shelborne is the font I wanted to use in my project and here someone with the last name of Shelbourne posts a reply to my message. What a coincidence!

Sally
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 28, 2004
Yea that Ann,

What a character.

serif?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 28, 2004
Definitely Serif. With sharp points.

Actually, I did create a font once, using Fontographer, but I have never tried to publish it because there are a few character-pair kernings which still need refinement.

It was inspired by an old Dutch font and, because I live in NY, I called it "New Amsterdam".
(Naming it "Shelbourne" seemed a little conceited!)

Do you know who created your font? Shelbornes and Shelbournes are related so they could well be a member of the same clan.
SS
Sarah_Schrock
Jul 29, 2004
I got the Shelborne font as part of a collection as a freebie when I purchased the RetroAdArt CD-ROM of retro advertising clip art (www.retroadart.com). If you go to the website, you can view it and the other freebie fonts; there’s a link on the homepage to the previews. Shelborne is very tall, thin and angular. Anyone watch "The Bold and the Beautiful" soap on CBS?? The Forrester fashion design house in the show uses the Shelborne font for its logo. So, Ann, you’re kind of famous there! 🙂

Sally
R
Ram
Jul 29, 2004
Follow the path from here:

<http://www.adgraphics.com/fonts.html>

The story behind Shelborne:

Our inspiration to create Shelborne comes from the Art Deco district of Miami. Local residents, tourists, and art deco buffs in general, will undoubtedly be familiar with the sign on the top of the Shelborne Hotel in this world famous district. We have examined these letterforms at great length and subsequently extrapolated an entire font from them. Shelborne consists of caps and small caps, (as opposed to caps and lower case), so it truly is a display font – we don’t expect you to be setting any body text with this one!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 29, 2004
Ramón and Sarah:

Thank you so much for telling me about the Shelborne font and for the link.

There probably is a link between the founders of that hotel and the original owners of the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin who do have a connection (a long way back!) to our family.

Perhaps I should buy that font anyway—even though I can’t think of an immediate use for it.
SS
Sarah_Schrock
Jul 29, 2004
Ann,

You’re very welcome! I bet you will find a purpose sooner or later for the Shelborne font — if you or one of your family members publishes a genealogical newsletter or something along that line to keep far-flung relatives in close touch (I’m a Troyer on my dad’s side of the family and my cousin publishes the "Troyer Topics" quarterly) that font could be put into use for headlines or titles…

Seems like a lot of people are into typography as I am. Anyone familiar with The Scriptorium at www.fontcraft.com? They have an amazing collection of decorative, calligraphic, retro and historical fonts. It’s a must-visit site. I daresay you won’t leave The Scriptorium without making at least one purchase! It’s definitely one of my favorite font sites.

Sally
R
Ram
Jul 29, 2004
Sarah,

…are into typography as I am.

Hope you visit the Adobe Typography forum on this site.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.eea5b3a>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 29, 2004
Sally:
Thank you for pointing me to the Scriptorium which is indeed a fascinating place to which i know that i shall return again and again.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections