RL
Posted By
Randy_LL
Jan 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to Elements 2.0. I have a photo to add to a web site and I want to fade/soften the edges. How do I do this? Is there a tutorial that I can use?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 5, 2004
Randy

This is a two stage procedure.

Part One

1) Set your background colour to that of the web page
2) Select the area you want to remain and have a value in the feather option box. The higher the feather value the broader the fade.
3) Invert this selection using <ctrl> + <shift> + I
4) Press Delete
5) Press <ctrl> + D to deselect.

Part Two

1) File > Save For Web
2) Select if you prefer GIF or JPEG
3) If Jpeg just set parameters, the name and then save
4) If Gif use the eye dropper to pick the colour of your page and save the
image with transparency clicked
5) Using the Matte: pull down select Eyedropper and then name and save the file.

It is less complicated than it sounds.

Grant
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jan 5, 2004
Randy,
Select the portion of the photo that you want to soften, then go to Select>Feather and set the amount that you desire.
A good tutorial for this program, in my opinion, is Photoshop Elements Solutions by Mikkel Aaland. This book will get you started by explaining the tools, basic technique, etc. Then later on you can add additional, advanced material as you see fit. Also the discussion on this board is very helpful.
Ken
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 5, 2004
There is a recipe for this that you can download from Adobe. It’s called "make a vignette" and it will walk you through the process.
RL
Randy_LL
Jan 6, 2004
Where do you go for these recipes?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 6, 2004
Randy, in the "How To" palette there is a pulldown menu that says "select a recipe." If you scroll all the way down that to the bottom it says "get new recipes." Select that while you are connected to the internet and it will take you to the download.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections