BB
Posted By
Bob_Bowman
Dec 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is the first time I’ve posted a question so if this is not the correct place to ask a "How to" question, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I am using Photoshop CS3 Extended.

I have place layer 1 on a background.

I have cutout a picture (layer 2) and placed in on layer 1.

The edges of layer 2 are too sharpe. I want to soften the edges of layer 2 so that they merge/dissolve into layer 1.

How is this done?

Thanks,
BobB

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NH
Nicholas Hall
Dec 16, 2008
Layer masks.

wrote in message
This is the first time I’ve posted a question so if this is not the correct place to ask a "How to" question, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I am using Photoshop CS3 Extended.

I have place layer 1 on a background.

I have cutout a picture (layer 2) and placed in on layer 1.
The edges of layer 2 are too sharpe. I want to soften the edges of layer 2 so that they merge/dissolve into layer 1.

How is this done?

Thanks,
BobB
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 16, 2008
Better not to cut out picture 2. Instead, you would make a mask. But don’t worry about that (you’ll create one now anyway, just an inferior one, in that it only expands to where you’ve deleted the pixels, then it’s done). Ctrl-click on layer 2’s icon. You’ll see marching ants run around it. Then click on the make mask button (rectangle with the circle in it) at the bottom of the layers panel. Now your layer has a mask. Make sure the mask is active (black outline around icon in layers panel), and then blur the mask (filter…blur…gaussian blur). If you’ve blurred too much (making sure you’re still working on the mask) use image…adjust…levels to tighten or loosen the mask.

J
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Dec 17, 2008
You may want to add a step to that, and Select > Modify > Contract the selection before making the mask. That way there’s less chance of the hard edge of the layer showing through.
JM
J_Maloney
Dec 17, 2008
Contract sounds like a good pointer. You can also paint on the mask with a soft brush, or use the gradient tool in multiply or screen mode to create very soft vignettes. Just make sure the mask is active in the layers panel.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections