SM
Posted By
Suhail_Maqbool
Oct 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have some JPEGS, images from the web, that I need to print out as accurately as possible. They’re pictures of carpet samples from a website, so they have lots of different colors in them.

Here’s an example of a page of pictures that I have to print out (and yes, I did receive permission from the company to use them 🙂 ):

<http://www.beaulieucommercial.com/colorline.asp?id=300>

Now, when I print them out as it is, it obviously looks horrible, since web images are only 72 DPI. However, when you click a swatch (a carpet image), it shows an elarged version of the carpet (a bigger picture).

So, I saved the ‘bigger swatches’ and opened them up in Adobe Photoshop CS2. I then edited the Image Size as follows:

Checked on "Scale Styles" "Constrain Proportions" Unchecked: Resample Image
Resolution: changed 72, and made it 300 pixels/inch

When I changed the Resolution, the Print Size became a lot smaller than the original print size. The new size is just the size I want it to be on print, and it looks a lot more clear and detailed with 300 pixels per inch.

I then put it in Microsoft Publisher and printed it out.

However, the colors weren’t that accurate to the original as I’d like them to be. The printed one was a shade lighter.

I have an HP Photosmart 8450, and I am using the 3 ink cartridges recommended for best quality prints (HP 97, 99, and 100). I am also using the recommended paper, Premium Plus High Gloss.

Is there any way I can tweak Adobe to get more accurate colors? One thing I found out, was when I clicked on Edit>Color Settings>Working Spaces>RGB, the default option was sRGB IEC61966-2.1
However, in the drop-down menu, I saw my printer, along with the Ink and Type of Paper, listed there. Should I use that option instead?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PW
Peter_Wing
Oct 22, 2005
How to Print from Adobe CS2 and Get the Most Accurate Colors?

The answer to this question is to print using ICC profiles ==> image ICC profile to a custom ICC profile created for the printer. Also you need to PRINT DIRECTLY from within Photoshop CS2 or other ICC profile aware application such as Adobe Indesign or Illustrator. Proper COLOR MANAGEMENT is what you need to learn about. There are many websites, books, and courses on this subject. COLOR MANAGEMENT is a subject that requires study.

The answer to your COMPLELE QUESTION is that you probably can NOT print accurate colors using Microsoft Publisher and need to purchase, from a color profiling service, a custom color profile for your printer OR purchase the needed application to create a printer ICC profile.

The problem is NOT with Adobe Photoshop CS2…it will work as advertised when properly used.

Peter
SM
Suhail_Maqbool
Oct 22, 2005
Thanks for the reply Peter.

However, due to time constraints, I can’t go through a course for color management. I realize the drawback will be inaccurate colors, but I just want to get as close as possible without spending too much time on it.

Now, the tables I have set are in Microsoft Publisher 2002, so I have to use that application to print.

So, should I:

1) Keep the Working Spaces RGB on default (sRGB)

or

2) Choose the Working Space RGB as "HP Photosmart 8400 Premium Plus Photo (Tricolor + Photo + Gray)" << Is this the custom ICC profile created for the printer that you were talking about?

The printer I am using is HP Photosmart 8400 series, the paper is Premium Plus Photo, and the inks are Tricolor, Photo, and Gray.

Now, I’ll have to send the edited JPG image over to Microsoft Publisher 2002. So what should I do?

Thanks again.
PW
Peter_Wing
Oct 22, 2005

1) Keep the Working Spaces RGB on default (sRGB)

The working space is not the issue…a sRGB working space OK when working with web sourced images.

2) Choose the Working Space RGB as "HP Photosmart 8400 Premium Plus Photo (Tricolor + Photo + Gray)" << Is this the custom ICC profile created for the printer that you were talking about?

Maybe…if this is a ICC profile supplied by HP…but you do NOT use it for the "working space".

My CLEARER SHORTER answer to your problem is that you CAN NOT print accurate colors using Microsoft Publisher 2002 and your HP Photosmart 8400 printer.

If you do have a HP supplied profile for your printer, you can print directly from within Photoshop CS2 FROM the sRGB color space TO the HP profile (for instructions see Photoshop Help and your printed CS2 manual). Also, be sure to "turn-off" any automatic adjustment from th e HP printer or software.

This would require that you re-create your Microsoft Publisher 2002 document within Photoshop CS2 so that you would be actually printing your created document as a single Photoshop image file.
opt
From possible solutions with Microsoft Publisher 2002, you need to obtain those answers from Microsoft not Adobe. Microsoft does have an extensive knowledge base for questions and answers.

Peter
SM
Suhail_Maqbool
Oct 22, 2005
Thanks for your reply Peter, I appreciate it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections