DI
Posted By
Durant_Imboden
Jan 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I save files with long names using the "Save for Web" command in Photoshop Elements 2.0, the filenames are truncated at 27 characters. Is there a solution for this?

(I’m new to PhotoShop Elements 2.0, having just upgraded from PS Elements 1.0 on a Windows 2000 PC to PS Elements 2.0 on a Windows XP Professional machine.)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 5, 2004
In Full PhotoShop, there is separate SaveForWeb option menu. If you uncheck Unix and Mac compatibility, you can save as longer. But that option menu doesn’t seem to exist in Elements.
Never really understood that though, as both Unix and Mac OS servers allow more than 27 AFAIK. (certainly Unix/Linux does).

27 ought to be plenty, though, eh?

Mac
DI
Durant_Imboden
Jan 5, 2004
Thanks. What’s odd is that I could save longer filenames in Photoshop Elements 1.0. So, if the option doesn’t exist in 2.0, it would seem to be a step backward.

As for why I need filenames longer than 27 characters, it’s a long story, but there is a method to my madness. 🙂 I have a Web site with thousands of images, and I’ve devised a system whereby a photo for my Europe Travel Planner that shows a bedroom in a certain London hotel might be named:

plan_england_london_hotel_baglioni_bedroom.jpg

This works well for finding and inserting jmages in Web pages, and I’d hate to change horses in midstream (so to speak) just because Photoshop Elements 2.0 makes me use shorter filenames or rename files manually in Windows Explorer after they’ve been saved.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 5, 2004
I don’t see any way round it with Elements 2 than to rename after the fact.

Mac
DI
Durant_Imboden
Jan 5, 2004
That’s annoying. I hate paying for upgrades that make me less productive!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections