CB
Posted By
chobb_barnett
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We have several Macs (various models of G4) that have developed faults (on the second monitor). When you drag a Photoshop window around on the 2nd monitor it leaves a trail of lines – see screen grab.

<http://www.fatdrunkandstupid.com/chobb/mac_screen_grab.jpg>

We’ve swapped monitors to check it’s not the monitors. I suspect the video cards have a fault, but why does it only do it on Photoshop? We have tried dozens of other programs, but they are fine.

Any clues?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 28, 2004
I would bet all your video cards are ATIs. If so, try upgrading to the latest drivers. I had a similar issue with earlier versions of ATI drivers after one of my upgrades, although it was a while ago and I can’t remember the specifics.
CB
chobb_barnett
Jul 28, 2004
2 out of the 3 are ATI, the other is ‘Village Tronic’ (?)

I’ll go get some new drivers. Cheers.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 28, 2004
Aha! The Village Tronic (which I’d never heard of until now) is a PCI card. That jogged my memory. My first G4 video upgrade was to purchase a Radeon for Mac PCI. The original drivers required two upgrades before all visual artifacting was eliminated on almost all computers. I hope new drivers work!

VillageTronic…

<http://www.ammicro.co.uk/product_pages/villageTronic.htm>
CB
chobb_barnett
Jul 29, 2004
Welles,

Thanks for the help. I thought it must be the video cards, but why it only does it on Photoshop is a mystery.

Cheers, Chobb
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 30, 2004
Photoshop reveals a lot of faults in systems that other apps don’t. Consider Photoshop as a way of "proofing out" your system. For most of us, it is the toughest application we’ll routinely subject our computers to.

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections