How to copy images from MS Word without degradation?

HE
Posted By
hopeful_enquirer
Oct 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS2 on XP

I refer, need it be added, to degradation of image quality… :^)

I often work with images in Word docs, copying them into PS for revision, and returning the updated image to Word.

I appreciate how PS’s File > New dialog figures out the size of a graphic I have already copied from Word into the clipboard, but when I paste the graphic into PS it frequently suffers a drastic loss of quality (text and other elements become blurry, etc.).

Altering the settings in the File > New dialog has never improved on this result.

The same images can be pasted without loss into Visio, for example. I sometimes copy a picture from Word into Visio first, and from there into PS.

Naturally, this is quite awkward. I’m sure many of you out there have found the proper way to handle this issue. May I ask your advice?

Many thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
stevent
Oct 20, 2005
Save the word doc as an html file, the corresponding folder will contain the image as sized in the word doc, and the original full size image.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 20, 2005
Now that is a good answer!
P
Phosphor
Oct 20, 2005
Gotta love that Microsoft ease-of-use, eh?
HE
hopeful_enquirer
Oct 21, 2005
Thanks to all who chimed in!

That was an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately, I have had mixed results with saving the Word doc as html — frequently ending up with obscure file formats that I couldn’t open.

The fact that I could paste images into Visio led me to think the data on the clipboard was not in itself irredeemable, and to hope there might be a trick to doing the same with PS…
D
deebs
Oct 21, 2005
I have this awful feeling that the clipboard we know and love so well along with keyboard shortcuts to bypass greyed out editing options is going bye-bye.

I suppose we’ll have to bounce between apps rather than the clipboard but if that’s what DRM takes maybe it’s all worthwhile?

Import Export App1 to App2, Import Export App2 to App 3 and concatenate at will?
T
Terrat
Oct 21, 2005
HopeEnQ,

RE: covert to HTML.
Wasn’t the idea to work on a dupe doc? The idea is to separate out the photo.jpgs, or original images in a folder and just discard the rest.

Also, there’s something I recall about a trick which uses .png format being native or best for Micro$oft Office or maybe it was Power Point….Just can’t quite remember.
HE
hopeful_enquirer
Oct 21, 2005
RE: convert to HTML (using a dupe doc and discarding unwanted artifacts)

Yes, absolutely!

The sad thing is that many of the images were turned into .wmz files, which, by rights, ought to be Windows Media Player Skin Packages.

Needless to say, the media player had no use for the files, nor did any other application… Someone guessed (rightly) that these are actually .wmf files in clever disguise!

With that mystery solved I am able to collect quite a few more graphics using the ‘convert to HTML’ approach than before.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections