Posted By
JackSoot
Jul 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop CS in Mac OS 10.3.4

After I make some Contact Sheets for CD-R covers in PS, I often copy and paste them into a larger 8×10 document so I can print them 2-up on Letter size paper, using "Select All," "Copy," and then in the new document "Paste." I then can Flatten and Print as normal.

After I’ve done that, if I happen to click on the finder level window, I briefly get a warning box, with the PS feather in it, that says:

"Clipboard export failed because it is too big to export."

It stays visible for about 2 – seconds then disappears.

The 4.75" square Contact Sheet as a PSD doc is about 4.3 mb. I’m sure the Contact Sheet I had pasted was still in the Clipboard, but why does this warning pop-up, especially if I wasn’t trying to paste it again anywhere?

I did find this in Photoshop Help:

"To change the Export Clipboard preference (Photoshop): Do one of the following:
In Windows, choose Edit > Preferences > General.
In Mac OS, choose Photoshop > Preferences > General. Select Export Clipboard to save any Photoshop contents on the Clipboard when you exit from Photoshop. If you leave this deselected, the contents are deleted when you exit from the program."

I looked at my preferences, and "Export Clipboard" was checked. I’m trying it un-checked now.

And, do you think this is a PS quirk, or a Mac OSX quirk?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 26, 2004
You can get rid of that message by turning off Export Clipboard in Preferences. That is supposed to make it possible to copy things to other applications, which you probably don’t need to do that often. I have noticed the message is often wrong anyway and has been for several versions.

However, that brings up a bugaboo of mine. In CS when it’s turned off the clipboard seems to fail often within Photoshop from one document to another, which never happened to me in previous versions of Photoshop. I can Copy but Paste is unavailable in the other doc. Anyone else seeing this?

Also, on a related topic, drag from one doc to another with Shift held down seems NOT to center in the destination document as it used to. Anyone else see this one?

Before I go trashing prefs I’d like to know if it’s a new bug or what.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 26, 2004
I would add that another designer at work cannot Copy/Paste form Freehand, so it might well be an issue with Panther.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 26, 2004
You could try using Edit/Purge Clipboard.

Keeping "Export Clipboard" checked in Preferences can slow the System down when you change to another program. You might try dragging-&-dropping between programs instead.
B
Buko
Jul 26, 2004
If yu want you can use the export clpboard plugin
R
Ram
Jul 26, 2004
Deselecting Export Clipboard

The Export Clipboard setting allows Photoshop to export anything copied to the clipboard as a PICT file. Exporting is time consuming, however, and occurs whenever you quit Photoshop or go from Photoshop to another application. Deselecting this setting increases Photoshop’s performance.

To deselect Export Clipboard:

1. Choose Photoshop > Preferences > General.
2. Deselect Export Clipboard.
3. Click OK.

The above is from: <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/c9ba.htm>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 26, 2004
I never upgraded FreeHand beyond v.8 and that version (to my total astonishment) will both drag-&-drop or copy/paste between FH8 (running in Classic) and Photoshop CS (running in 10.3.4). You can also "Place" FH8 files in Illustrator CS.

I believe that there were "issues" with doing this with a later version of FH?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 26, 2004
This thread makes me wonder if those people who are reporting slowness in Photoshop have "Export Clipboard" checked in their Prefs.

It is turned off in mine but I believe that the Default may be to have it checked "ON"?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 26, 2004
Sadly we upgraded to FH 10 a while ago. And the EULA dictates that when you upgrade you must delete the previous version. There are many bugs in FH 10.

You may be right that slowness is being caused by Export Clipboard being checked. Worth looking into. Though I have run it both ways and haven’t noticed a difference.
R
Ram
Jul 26, 2004
…the EULA dictates that when you upgrade you must delete the previous version.

Yet another reason to dislike Macromedia.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections