K
Posted By
krstone
Jan 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a 5 megapixel camera and I have been using this default setting for my pix. They all seem to be about 1MB in size. I have been told that 3-3.5 megapixels is fine for the 4×6 pictures that I print.

However, I am wondering: I always crop my raw pictures and sometimes I may use only half of the original picture. If I take pictures with the lower file size, then will I run into trouble with printed picture quality after cropping?

thanks,
ken

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 3, 2004
Generally speaking, the more pixels your picture contains the higher quality will be your print. However, at the size of photograph that you are printing I don’t think you will see any noticeable or significant difference. However, unless disk space is a big issue, I would recommend that you use the higher settings your camera is capable of producing. After all, that is why you purchased 5 MP camera, isn’t it? You never know when you will get a photograph from which you would like to have a bigger enlargement. And it is on those bigger enlargements that you will really see the difference.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 3, 2004
To maintain the same quality and the same size as your present uncropped 4×6 images, you would want to increase the capture in your camera.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 3, 2004
Yup, the more pixels you have to work with the better off you are. Definietly shoot in 5mp…..especially if you are a ‘cropper’ kind of dude. 😉
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 3, 2004
And when you have fast moving dogs and grandkids, you will need to crop, you will need the highest and best. Then you have more to work with.
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 3, 2004
or those danging unidentified flying objects !

Grant, seen any lately ?
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 3, 2004
schreekkkk

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections