Posted By
baidarkabob
Oct 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has developed a plug-in for an Adobe CS program that can replace the colors in your document to insure legibility with folks who are color blind.

bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 19, 2005
I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but you’re kidding, right?
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Oct 19, 2005
Go to www.visibone.com and ask Bob Stein…he has a great chart explaining the problems with web colors and color blind individuals…for a price he might whip you up palettes that correspond with the colors
B
baidarkabob
Oct 19, 2005
Hi there,

Nope, not kidding. It is not something I have adapted to much before, except that a good friend of mine is color blind and I have to take it into account on rare occassions. It just happens that this job I am working on is being led by a group who wants me to whip out a product that works for the color blind.

I am putting together an electronic atlas that inclues about 120 different maps. The maps have up to 6 classes of data displayed and it is not very easy to come up with a palette that both looks good to the masses and works for the color blind. My pipe dream was that I would be able to finish the atlas for those who see red and green just fine and then EASILY regenerate a new version that works for the color blind – some kind of batch color replacer function. I have a couple palettes that will work but I am not sure how to do the batch color replace operation.

Thanks for the responses.

Bob
M
Marcel
Oct 19, 2005
wrote in message
I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but you’re kidding, right?

I can assure you he’s not kidding. I’m colour blind to an extent and mix up some colours such as I see yellow things that are green (pale green). If a single traffic light is blinking, I don’t know if it’s red or yellow… I brought a book back from the library when I was young and showed it to my father. It was full of colour circles, and depending on your state of colour blindness, you saw different colours. My father thought I was kidding because he was seeing a certain number while he was seeing another. We passed it around our table and hold and behold, ny little brother was seeing the same numbers as I was…
Marcel
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 19, 2005
Very cool indeed. Thanks Bob.
S
Stroker
Oct 20, 2005
Love it.

From the look of things, Lab mode is the way to go. Been doing a little bit of playing and I think I’m getting the hang of it. A little more time and I should have a plan of attack or two.
S
Stroker
Oct 20, 2005
Been reading, thinking, and playing. I think the best bet would be one of contrast.

– Open image
– Image > Mode > Lab
– Copy to new layer
– Filter > Other > High Pass
— Not sure what Radius you’ll want to use
– Advanced Blending and turn off channel a (R/G)
— Maybe turn off channel L, not sure
– set blending mode to Overlay or Linear Light or something

Now, to get an approximation of what a R/G colourblind person will see: – New Layer
– Fill with 50% grey
– Advanced Blending
— Turn off channels L and b, leave channel a on
– since colour blindness can occur in degrees, maybe reduce Opacity a tad

Depending on things, some variation on the above might get you where you want to be.
S
Stroker
Oct 20, 2005
Something else that I’ve been messing with. Been playing with it on a variety of photos and things. I’m fairly pleased. Put it in my action set for ya.

Tosser.atn <http://cablespeed.com/~jlhalmich/ozone/Tosser.atn> scroll down to CB Red/Green

Open image in RGB mode. Run the action. It will basically convert to Lab and do some cutting and pasting. When it’s done, open the Levels adjustment layer and tweak channel b. Once you get the basic idea of it, shouldn’t be too hard to customize it for your needs.

While I am pleased with that action, I don’t know much about working with colour blind things. Even though I’m happy with it, I could be way off for what you need.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 20, 2005
baidar,

You can try

a) open a color blind ‘safe palette’ image.

b) use Match Color (batch operation) to match the color of the palette to your maps.

Mathias
B
baidarkabob
Oct 20, 2005
Matchias and Stroker, I am very grateful for your help. I will create a batch of pages for testing and experiment with these techniques.

Thank you,

Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections