FH
Posted By
Floyd_Hannaford
Jul 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using a licensed version of 7.0 and recently when booting it complains "serial number has expired". What’s up with this? and how do I fix short of buying a new version of Photoshop.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Jul 25, 2004
Where and when did you get your current version of Photoshop? How long have you had it installed and working?

And which version is it? 6? 7? CS(aka Phpotoshop 8)?

Be as specific on these questions as you can, otherwise no one will be able to help you.
B
Buko
Jul 25, 2004
serial numbers don’t just expire.

the only time I’ve heard of this happening is if the version being used was a beta. but Betas should have timed out a long time ago.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
Neither should a non-Beta Tester have a copy!

Maybe Adobe also released Evaluation versions of 7? Those would time-out too.

And yes, you would now have to buy your own copy of Photoshop CS ( v.8 ) — or the Upgrade if you own an earlier full version.
FH
Floyd_Hannaford
Jul 25, 2004
The overwhelming response is that this should not happen unless the product is a beta version. I bought the computer two years ago on ebay and of course it came installed and worked flawlessly until last week when the "serial number has expired" message started coming up. This was a big concern as I can’t afford $600 for photoshop and my scanner (Canon Lide 30) would only work through photoshop. But today I went to Canon’s web site and downloaded the latest and greatest driver and then downloaded Photoshop Elements 2.0 ($100) and all is good once more and now I have a real licensed version of Photoshop that does what I need. Thanks to everyone for your help. Sometimes you have to belly up and do the right thing.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 26, 2004
Floyd,

Chances are that ANY software application "preinstalled" on a second-hand machine is suspect, particularly if you don’t have the proper Adobe transfer of license papers that transfer all rights to you. If you actually paid for that copy of Photoshop, you got ripped off. As stated, legitimate copies of Photoshop don’t expire.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections