DB
Posted By
Dianne_Batson
Dec 31, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a 100% newbie to maintaining a website. It is a site that must have several photos. I used "Save for Web," set pixels to 225, checked ‘Optimize’ and set the quality to medium. However, my viewers with dial-up connection can get only 3 or 4 of the photos to download.

Am I doing this correctly? Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for your help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 31, 2003
Unless I have misunderstood something, you must be doing this Web work in another program. My suggestionn would be for you to set pixels to 72 if this is referring to the number of pixels per inch. This will significantly decreased the size of your pictures, but will have no effect on how well they display on the web site.
DB
Dianne_Batson
Dec 31, 2003
I’m using Adobe Photoshop Elements. I did a browse and chose my picture and then clicked on File/Save for Web. That is where I chose my settings. Then, I download them into my web directory and put them onto the site by using FrontPage.

I am confused between the pixels as to the actual size of the photograph (inches wide and long) and the pixels that make up the… well, the only way I can describe it … the "inner size" of the photo. If I go into File/Save for Web and change the pixels to 72, I am going to have a tiny picture. Too tiny to view. Am I wrong or more confused than I think??

Thanks so much for your help.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 31, 2003
Forget ppi for web images.
Just decide max pixel dimension for the long side you want. a 600 pixel-wide image displays at same size on screen whether saved as 72ppi or 7200ppi. It displays exactly 600 pixels wide in both cases.

scantips.com
for the primer.

Mac
DB
Dianne_Batson
Dec 31, 2003
Okay but where do I change that? If I change the pixel size on File/Save for Web, it changes the actual dementions of the photo. If I right click on the photo after it is on the site and choose Picture Properties to changes the pixels, it also changes the actual dementions of the photo.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 31, 2003
Decide what pixel dimensions you want in Elements first. Use Image Size with Resample ON, to downsample long side to x pixels. Then do any final touchup at this actual final size, like sharpening. Then use SaveForWeb.

Mac
DB
Dianne_Batson
Jan 1, 2004
Mmmmm……. New language to me. I am new to Adobe. Looks as if the manual will be my New Years reading. Haven’t used Image Size and not familiar with Resample. I’ll find it, though. Thanks so much for your help.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 1, 2004
Resample simply means you are going to change the image to have a different number of total pixels than you started with.
Downsampling means that you will have fewer pixels (and a smaller image, both in display size on screen and in bytes)
Upsampling means that you will have more pixels than the original (this function has very limited practical application).

Mac
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 1, 2004
Diane,
Open the image you want to work on. Go to the top menu…click Image, then from the dropdown, click Resize and from the next dropdown, click Image Size. This will get you to the Image Size form. Then, follow Mac’s instructions.
bert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections