Refusal of PhotoShop Elements 2.0 to Install – HITTING A BRICK WALL!!

TR
Posted By
Thomas_Roberts
Dec 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO INSTALL PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2.0 ON MY DESKTOP COMPUTER FOR SEVERAL DAYS. My computer has a Pentium II processor, I am using Windows 98, 2nd Edition, I have 128 MB of RAM, I have 14+ gigabytes of available harddrive space, I have an up to date 17 inch color monitor, and have Internet Explorer 6.0 installed, with all its updates. I have shut down Norton’s antivirus, in fact several times I have shutdown all the running programs except systray, and explorer. HOWEVER,I keep having the installation process from the installation CD terminated by the computer, just at the very beginning. The "install wizard bar" gets to 99% then all further installation stops and I get an error message that "this program performed an illegal action and will be shut down". There is a conflict somewhere. When I look at the "Detail" window on the error message, it has various data in it, which changes most everytime. Here is an example: "INS5576 caused an invalid page fault in module_INS5576_MP at 017f:00476aa9". Then it lists some "Registers", and "Stack dump".

The installation CD is working, as it did install Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 on my laptop which has XP Home Edition on it. I am damn frustrated. What more can I do to make it work?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EW
Ed_Wurster
Dec 30, 2003
wrote…
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO INSTALL PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2.0 ON MY DESKTOP
COMPUTER FOR SEVERAL DAYS. My computer has a Pentium II processor, I am using Windows 98, 2nd Edition, I have 128 MB of RAM, I have 14+ gigabytes of available harddrive space, I have an up to date 17 inch color monitor, and have Internet Explorer 6.0 installed, with all its updates. I have shut down Norton’s antivirus, in fact several times I have shutdown all the running programs except systray, and explorer. HOWEVER,I keep having the installation process from the installation CD terminated by the computer, just at the very beginning. The "install wizard bar" gets to 99% then all further installation stops and I get an error message that "this program performed an illegal action and will be shut down". There is a conflict somewhere. When I look at the "Detail" window on the error message, it has various data in it, which changes most everytime. Here is an example: "INS5576 caused an invalid page fault in module_INS5576_MP at 017f:00476aa9". Then it lists some "Registers", and "Stack dump".
The installation CD is working, as it did install Adobe Photoshop Elements

2.0 on my laptop which has XP Home Edition on it. I am damn frustrated. What
more can I do to make it work?

I would try the ideas listed here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2d6ce.htm

Something went wrong with the installation, and you should remove everything associated with the install.

That link refers to Acrobat Reader, and of course you won’t uninstall that, but focus on Adobe PSE items. Make sure that PSE is not listed in add/remove programs first.

Ed
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 30, 2003
You might also try copying the installation CD to a folder on your hard drive, and installing from that folder. It looks to me like your system is pretty marginal ( RAM memory particularly ) for Elements, but it certainly SHOULD install . Let us know how you’re progressing, perhaps someone’s memory will be jogged <G> .

🙂

Brent
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 30, 2003
Thomas,

Since your system isn’t exactly a powerhouse by today’s standards, make sure you have done your "housekeeping chores", like empty Recycle, clear out WinTemp, Temp Internet and run Defrag.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections