BA
Posted By
Barbara_AAllen
Oct 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After caturing images set on RAW on B&W COLOR MODE (using the Fuji S2pro) I see color images when viewing in BRIDGE. I previously used this setting with jpeg settings to obtain a truer B&W image compared to converting color files. My question is … does anyone know if I should be adjusting any preference settings for adobe to read the B&W information only and weather B&W images will be inherently better read by adobe using the raw format vs jpeg?. I called Fuji’s tech support and it is ultimately an Adobe question since the camera is reading the images in B&W as proven by its camera’s lcd screen. Thank YOU!!!!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 15, 2005
ACR doesn’t know anything about your camera’s proprietary B&W mode. The RAW file still contains a color image – so that is what ACR is showing you.

The camera’s LCD screen shows you the JPEG thumbnail prepared by the camera, not the actual contents of the RAW file.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Oct 15, 2005
I wouldn’t say that you are getting trtuer B&W, but arbitrary. You can output neutral colored images out of ACR (there is a saturation slider 😉 ), but I’d output a color one, and use channel mixer to get the B&W that I want. You can even create an action if you found settings that you like.
S
Skidoo
Oct 15, 2005
Yeah, what Chris and Pierre said.

The black and white image created by the camera is just a result of that camera’s own desaturation algorithm (applied to the RAW file). In PS you can reproduce your camera’s output or generate "better" output, according to your tastes.

There are a million ways to create black and white output in PS, but the one I usually use is the Channel Mixer (Pierre’s suggestion).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections