MB
Posted By
Mark_Bolick
Jul 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We just got Dual 1.8GHz G5 and have Photoshop CS running with 1.5 GB Ram on the system. Everyday it seems that Photoshop will crash. When trying to relaunch the program, it will stick at initializing and go no further. We have to reboot the system to get Photoshop to work again. This should not be so. Has anyone else seen this. I haven’t tried re-installing yet, as it is a pain, but I may have to.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JohnFPage
Jul 22, 2004
I have the same problem occasionally with my G4 1 GHz (gig of ram) Powerbook running 10.3.4. It is especially prone to happen when I am launching a number of programs at once – so may be a problem involving the window server in some way. At any rate, this never happened with Photoshop 7. In those cases I too have to reboot the computer to get PS CS to launch properly. I can force quit the stalled launch, but then it still won’t relaunch all the way – and gets stuck again.
MB
Mark_Bolick
Jul 22, 2004
Never had this issue on our ibook G3, just since we’ve moved to the G5 tower does it exhibit this problem. Wish someone would know why.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 22, 2004
I haven’t tried re-installing yet, as it is a pain

Of course, limping along is more fun…
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
HN
Henry_Neugass
Aug 9, 2004
G4 Sawtooth 450 MHz, MacOS 10.3.4.

For me 7.0.1 recently started hanging during launch or crashing near the completion of launching. _Never_ any problem like this before. I can’t think of anything about the system that’s changed in the meantime except MacOS itself. Unfortunately, I don’t use Photoshop often enough to correlate this with 10.2 -> 10.3 or a subsequent minor update.

I tried troubleshooting by deleting preferences as recommended by "gballard" referenced in a previous post. No help. (Well, launching seemed much faster, but the result was still the same.)

Since Photoshop launches and works perfectly for what I’ve tried after restarting MacOS X –repeatable, at least twice– I’ve concluded that the Photoshop application installation itself is probably not corrupt.

More ideas?
R
Ram
Aug 10, 2004
The prime suspect is a corrupt font.
HN
Henry_Neugass
Aug 11, 2004
Ramón:

Thanks for your response on this thread.

I’ve cut way back on fonts — I have removed almost everything except the bare minimum, which decreases the likelihood that a font is at fault.

But if a font is corrupt, why would it be OK for "a while" after a fresh startup?

Thanks,

Henry
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
Henry,

I was actually addressing Mark Bolicks original post, but I see no reason why my response could not apply to your problem.

Corrupted fonts can indeed cause intermittent problems.

On the other hand, there’s no guarantee it’s a font. I just observed it would be a prime suspect, not the undisputed culprit. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 12, 2004
Did all of you follow ALL of g ballard’s suggestions for trouble-shooting Photoshop:

Just try following his suggestions again —ALL of them!
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections