duff
Jul 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I am using photosshop 6 with os 9
I keep getting this errir message :disk error -36 occured wile writing or reading from a scratch disk sorry this error is unrecoverable

does any one knows what this is caussed by?
do you think it is a problem with PS or my system?

Please
thank you

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jul 21, 2004
Duff,

Since you don’t specify, I’ll assume you have updated to Photoshop 6.0.1 and Mac OS 9.2.2.

What troubleshooting have you done so far? Ran Disk First Aid? Disk Warrior? Rebuilt your Desktop? Zapped the PRAM? Checked for disk fragmentation?

Made sure you have at last 20% of your hard drive space available? How big is your drive?

How old is your drive?

Is your Photoshop scratch disk on your boot drive?

How much RAM is installed? How much RAM have you allocated to Photoshop?

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, cease and desist immediately. That’s a BIG no-no.

See:

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local HD, work on it, save it again to your HD, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.
AJ
Artistic Jenn
Jul 21, 2004
Type -36 error (I/O Errors (bummers)

This file is having difficulty while either reading from the drive or writing to the drive. The file may have been improperly written data to the drive or the hard drive or disk may be damaged. This is almost always indicative of a media error (hard error on the disk). Sometimes (rarely) it is transient.

Solutions: Try copying the file to another drive. Use a disk recovery software, such as Disk First Aid to examine the disk. You can try rebooting with all extensions off. Once in a while this will allow you to read the data. The file in question should be restored from a backup that was stored on a differnt disk. Regular backups can reduce the time to recover from this error.

– so say the folks at apple…
D
duff
Jul 21, 2004
Hello
I’m using 9.2.1
where do I get a upgrade to 9.2.2 ? is it expensive?

I did all those tings you mentioned. I did norton disc docteur, I did disk warrioer, I did pram, i rebuilded the desktop.
now I did a clean install.

something is strange. I use MSN to comunicate with clients abroad. And the other day MSN just would not run. And now after doing clean install, I went to try MSN again it tells me I need 9.2.2 or later. So somehow it seems I HAD 9.2.2 at one point but now it reverted back to 9.2.1. Its crazy.

Maybe there is a virus on the computer because I could not use exxplorer neither. IT would freeze constintly.

I am not on a netwerk .

The drive is maybe 4 years old. I have 1.3 gig space on it.
R
Ram
Jul 21, 2004
where do I get a upgrade to 9.2.2 ? is it expensive?

At the Apple site. It’s free.
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288>

The drive is maybe 4 years old. I have 1.3 gig space on it.

That is very little if you’re doing heavy Photoshop work.

Maybe there is a virus on the computer because I could not use exxplorer neither.

That is possible, but unlikely in the Mac world. Check your disk with an anti virus program, but It’s unlikely., especially after a clean install.

Try to make a lot more disk space available on your hard drive by backing up and transferring files to other media.

[EDITED to provide a more direct link]
D
duff
Jul 21, 2004
Hello
ok I upgraded to 9.2.2

Yea I know It isn’t much space at all. I’m going to trash a lot. I did run antivirus. I did everything. So far, with the clean install, things are ok. I hope it keaps up.

Can you please tell me if I need "kodak precision" at starttup? I had it on the other system. But it’s not on this one for some reason? Do I need it? and if so how do I take it from the old and put it to the new . please
thank you alot for all the help
duff
R
Ram
Jul 21, 2004
Duff,

You certainly do not need the Kodak Precision stuff for Photoshop; perhaps you don’t even want it.

It normally gets installed by other applications like QuarkXPress and the freebie software you get with scanners, digital cameras and such.

I don’t know if it in fact does (I suspect it does), but it has the potential to mess up your color management in Photoshop.
D
duff
Jul 21, 2004
Oh , I guess this means I will have to re-enstall my scanner softwear to now. such a pain in the nek re-enstalling the OS.
Just hope it works

thank u very much for all the helps
duff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections