What is the diff between PJG and JPE? Need help quick!

DF
Posted By
Dean Fritzel
Oct 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I am on a tight deadline. I need to print some digital pics at a local printing lab. The pictures are in a JPE format, and the lab couldn’t open them. They said they weren’t in a JPG format but Windows recognizes them as a JPG.

What is the difference between the two formats, and how can I change them to JPG???

TIA

Dean

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JG
John_Gregson
Oct 13, 2005
Rename them to JPG. JPG is the same as JPE.

John Gregson
TM
Trevor_Morris
Oct 13, 2005
The only difference is the last letter 😉
JB
John_Bean_UK
Oct 13, 2005
Depending on the source it’s likely that it is a JPEG with an embedded profile other than sRGB – probably Adobe RGB. The filename maybe starts with an underscore too.

If your lab doesn’t know this it may not honour profiles and assume sRGB, so to be on the safe side load it into
Photoshop and convert the profile to sRGB before using "Save As…" to save a normal JPEG to give to the lab.

John Bean
DF
Dean Fritzel
Oct 13, 2005
So why would PS pick a JPE extension as opposed to JPG or JPEG? Why the different extentions to begin with?

BTW, thanks for the responses.

Deano
JB
John_Bean_UK
Oct 13, 2005
Dean Fritzel wrote:
Also, If I change the profile to sRGB, it darkens the picture.

I suggested converting to sRGB – this is *not* the same as just assigning a sRGB profile. If you convert to sRGB from whatever it is now (probably Adobe RGB) there should be no obvious change of colour.

Are those profiles for viewing purposes only, or will it
also affect the prints?

Too much to answer in a simple way, too many "depends…" involved. Google will find a lot of references for colo(u)r profiles and their use.

John Bean
DF
Dean Fritzel
Oct 13, 2005
Alright…So if "converting to sRGB… is *not* the same as just assigning a sRGB profile" then the next question is obvious to me.

How do I convert to sRGB?

BTW if it matters, the profile currently assigned is AdobeRGB1998(KONICA MINOLTA DSC)

Dean
AC
Art Campbell
Oct 13, 2005
JB
John_Bean_UK
Oct 13, 2005
Dean Fritzel wrote:
How do I convert to sRGB?

"Convert to profile…" from the menu in Photoshop. It’s either on the "Image" or "Edit" menu depending on which version of PS you use. You really need to do a little
reading about this stuff…

BTW if it matters, the profile currently assigned is AdobeRGB1998(KONICA MINOLTA DSC)

Ah, so my "lucky guess" was right then 🙂

No, it doesn’t matter (to you) what it is currently for the purposes of the conversion.

John Bean
DF
Dean Fritzel
Oct 13, 2005
Art,

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. In my opintion, they (Apple) should drop the JPEG format and conform to JPG.

I am assuming by the article that my camera takes JPEG files and when I bring them into XP, it converts (or translates)it to JPE.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way other than going in one by one and renaming each file to turn a *.JPE to a *.JPG?

John,

Yeah, I did do some reading on it, but you posted too fast. 🙂 I figured it out.

Thanks guys.

Dean
JB
John_Bean_UK
Oct 13, 2005
Dean, you’re blaming the wrong folk. The *camera* writes the file as a .JPE if you set Adobe RGB as the target colour space. Blame Konica Minolta if you wish, but what they do is reasonable if a bit unusual.

Set your camera to use sRGB and it will write the files with a .JPG extension. It’s in the user manual…

John Bean
DF
Dean Fritzel
Oct 13, 2005
John,

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections