DN
Posted By
Dagmar_Nearpass
Dec 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created a panorama which is about 8.5" by 22." I would like to print it in a continouos fashion, even if I have to tape two pieces of photo paper together. I have a HP 5150, which let me set a custom paper size of 8.5 x 22, I can preview my panorama, and it shows up as one long picture, but no matter what I seem to do, and I have tried all sorts of settings, when I print, it will only print the second "half" of the panorama, never the whole thing in one. Printing in two parts and butting together really doesn’t match up as well as I’d like. I’m using Elements 2 and Mac OS 10.3.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Dagmar,

When I just looked up the specifications for your printer, it said max custom size is 8.5×14". When I looked at the Users Manual at the HP site, it showed in the printer driver a max length of 18". It seems, it either case, your size exceeds the limits of the printer.

What is the resolution of your panorama? (Image>Image Size) For decent quality printout it needs to be between about 180-300 ppi.
DN
Dagmar_Nearpass
Dec 28, 2003
The resolution is 300 dpi. I’ll try making it 18" and see what happens.

Dagmar
DN
Dagmar_Nearpass
Dec 28, 2003
Didn’t work…made the panorama 17.5 inches by 8.3 inches, set custom paper size to 8.5 x 18, and this time I got just the center "page," (8.5 x 11 section) to print.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 28, 2003
Maybe the specs I read were correct rather than what they showed in the printer driver, the max being 14". You need to go through all of the printer driver choices and consult your users manual. It seems you have it set up to print to a letter size paper, surely the manual will give you the specifics.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 28, 2003
I started a post earlier but got interrupted. I’m not familiar with your HP printer, but is there a place where you can get up a "tiling" mode? If there is, I think that might be what you’re looking for.

As another workaround, it seems that it might work to:

Open your original and then make two duplicates. Close the original. Of course now we’re working with 17.5 and not 22, but…

Crop the width of the first copy to something just over half – like 9.5" or 10" from the left side toward the center. Now crop the second copy to the same size, but work from the right side. Print both of those, and you should be able to do a nice overlap near the center. This isn’t very sophisticated, but it should work much better than trying to butt two pieces of paper.

But check on that tiling feature first. I can’t see if my HP software has that option right now because that printer isn’t loaded on this laptop. I think something might be there, though. Obviously no guarantees!
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 29, 2003
I didn’t see it mentioned in the manual at the HP site about that printer’s capability to tile, though it didn’t have a screen shot for all options.
PD
Pete_D
Dec 30, 2003
Does that printer have a "banner" paper option?
CW
Curt_Woods
Jan 2, 2004
I’ve done 12" by 36" panaramas on my Canon S9000 that’s limited to 13" by 19". You have to cut out a new image of the left and right halves of the panarama. Make sure they overlap by 10% or so. After printing each half, trim the left edge of the right image so you can align the images, and then cut through both prints, hopefully on a vertical line in the image. After mounting the line can be near invisible.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections