H
Posted By
HowCreative
Jul 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone know if a Plug-in exists that lets you take a flat, 2D rendered file and make it look like it’s affixed to a bottle, for instance, a label on a wine bottle. Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 19, 2004
Squizz.
P
Phosphor
Jul 19, 2004
Ummm…what about Filter—»Render—»3D Transform…?

It’s a little tricky, so you may be compelled to spend some time figuring out how it works.
M
merge
Jul 19, 2004
Andromeda’s 3d Filter is okay. but it seems to not have been updated for osx. I never really liked it, but it worked in a pinch.

<http://www.andromeda.com/>
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 19, 2004
Maya : )
(or StrataStudio)
P
progress
Jul 19, 2004
elastic reality…

has squizz got splines yet mike?
TT
Toby_Thain
Jul 20, 2004
I have just released an inexpensive plugin (for both Illustrator and Photoshop) which does the correct distortion for a front view of a label wrapped around a cylinder. See my web site <http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/info/cylinderdistort.html> for more details.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
I have an OS 9 version, so I’m not sure exactly what the question is…
P
progress
Jul 20, 2004
the last version i tried mike, had straight edge distortion grids, like liquify…what i would like is spline based distortion grid or cage like elastic reality offers or the tool in AI. Is it like those now?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
I have version 4.4

It has Grid Warping that is editable in a grid or what they call curves. (basically curving paths like a pen tool)

pretty cool, but the UI is kind of clunky.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
You can use the Illustrator CS distortion tools on rastered images. Just open the PSD file in Illustrator and use Object/Envelope Distort …. You could also use use Effects/Warp.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2004
hmm..
P
progress
Jul 20, 2004
yeh ann,…but it aint the fastest thing on the block…in fact i’d day it was one of the slowest…one wonders what it would be like if i chucked a high res file at it.
P
progress
Jul 20, 2004
looks like im stuck with the 3d apps for now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
Speed depend on your computer, the size of the bottle label and how quickly Strata will render for you as opposed to Illustrator CS distorting.

However, a real 3D program lets you match lighting and shading to the roundness of the bottle.
P
progress
Jul 20, 2004

1.8ghz here, screen res file…slow ann, slow…

can map it in max, distort and render 4000×3000 in the time it takes for AI to nugde a 30mb file around.

your right about the shading, but more often than not a little dodge/burn in the right place will suffice…if we just had some long overdue decent distortion tool in PS it would help. I cant understand why we just havent had it yet…v10 maybe???
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 20, 2004
There is something horribly wrong with your machine!

A 36 MB file envelope-distorts here in Illustrator CS in 26 seconds — and is just the label alone really that size?

Do you have Illustrator’s Scratch on a separate HD?
P
progress
Jul 20, 2004
not yet…will try
P
progress
Jul 21, 2004
just re-read…yes its that fast/slow…26 seconds!…half a minute to just bend something? thats slow ann, slow. i’d like something in the range of .25 sec…perhaps it needs to use a proxy image or something.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 21, 2004
Do it in LP then: "Distort on a Path"!

But, if you think about it, Illustrator is having to do some pretty intense calculations to remap each of your pixels to a new location. (A smaller image size (less pixels) is obviously MUCH faster.

I don’t think that you will be able map AND render in Strata Pro a less amount time in total.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jul 21, 2004
3D applications are capable of subtle camera positions, lens lengths, lighting and ambient reflections.

Strata made a plug-in for Quark; it should be encouraged (or hired by Adobe) to make one for Photoshop.
P
progress
Jul 21, 2004
Ann, perhaps its because the apps i use dont use the actual bitmap but use a proxy for display, accelerated by openGL.

Its not strata i’m using, but in max and maya i can bend a 4000×3000 on geometry in realtime…rendering takes a few seconds. Its easily faster than AI, but obviously not always as easily playable as it would be in PS on the doc im working on, it takes a bit of setting up.

Whats LP?

At the end of the days i just wish PS would get this sorted, its a glaring inexplicable ommision, especially in an app 10 years old thats a market leader.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 21, 2004
Sorry: LP is LivePicture and, for some reason, I was under the impression that you had a copy. It runs in Classic but is hard to get hold of now — although it sometimes comes up on eBay.

However, if you have a true 3D program, that is really the best way to wrap your bottle.
AR
Andrew Rodney
Jul 23, 2004
I just had to do some 3d mapping and had to resort to going BACK to Photoshop 7 and using the Andromeda 3D filter in (ugh) OS9. $56 for the filter (I lost my old version years ago). Not a bad price and while the UI is out there, I got back on the horse and remembered all the ways this filter works and damn, it did a heck of a great job. I only hope they update to OSX someday. Once you get the hang of how this filter works, it can do just about anything you want.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections