DM
Posted By
Dave_McElderry
Dec 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I downloaded Richard Rosenman’s freebie 3D Sphere plug-in that was being discussed recently, but can’t get it to show up in PE2. According to the text file, installation is as simple as placing the unzipped 3dsphere.8bf file in the plug-ins folder. I also tried putting it in the filters folder, and in each case I restarted PE2, but no luck. I have searched through similar threads from previous postings on this, but have turned up nothing that helped. I’m using Windows XP, and the download site says that the plug-in is only for Windows. No problem there. I also am sure that this Photoshop plug-in should work in PE2, since others on this forum have already been using it. Since this is the first time I’ve tried to get a plug-in to work, I guess I need to prove that it can be done (by me). Any help would be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
Dave,

Did you put it just "loose" in the PlugIns folder, not a subfolder?
DM
Dave_McElderry
Dec 27, 2003
Tried it both ways Nancy. Didn’t seem to make any difference. First I put it "loose" in the general PlugIns folder, then I moved it to the Filters subfolder and tried it there.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 27, 2003
I have it on my XP in PSE2. Let’s review the steps…just to be sure a step didn’t get skipped. Open file, Extract all files, place file into plug-ins folder. I would guess that the extract files step was not completed. It is the only reasonable answer I have unless you accidently slipped it into a folder other than plug-ins…I assume you know that you must physically put it in that folder…not just dump it into the elements file folder. Even if you think you did all of this…go back through the steps.

Terri
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
I don’t remember offhand if I used my Administrator account when installing plugins, did you?

edit–it couldn’t be that your screen resolution is low and the drop list is truncated could it? It should show at the bottom of the list.
DM
Dave_McElderry
Dec 27, 2003
Okay, just to be sure, I repeated the process from the start. I downloaded the zip file from the web site, unzipped the 3 files to my desktop, moved the 3dsphere.8bf file to the Plug-ins folder, and then started PE2 from scratch. Not a sign of the plug-in. I’m looking for it in the Filters. Is that correct?
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
Dave,

Correct. My Roseman plugins show in the Filters dropdown at the bottom of the list.

Nancy
SN
Scott_Nelson
Dec 27, 2003
Would someone please put up the url for the Plugins?
Thanks,
Scott
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
<http://www.richardrosenman.com/>

edit—under the software button, you will see a free version (1.5) for the sphere
SN
Scott_Nelson
Dec 27, 2003
Thank you Nancy,
I installed it in the plugins\filters folder
It worked right away.
R
Ray
Dec 27, 2003
Have you quit and restarted PSE? If not, try it. Everytime you put something new in PSE, you need to quit and restart it otherwise changes won’t be visible (good from brushes, patterns, etc.)

Ray
DM
Dave_McElderry
Dec 27, 2003
Screen resolution is 1280 x 1024. Don’t think that’s a problem. The last item in the Filters list is Zig Zag, and there is empty space below it. I haven’t set up any sub-accounts on my computer, so normal operation is full admninistrator rights. This can’t be that complicated. I’m missing something simple.
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 27, 2003
Whoops, I better not go any farther, Windows only,,,,,
But I bought the Andromeda "Three-D Luxe" filter a while ago, I forgot about it, and just found it on my desk, so I should install it today after the Football game is over.
Jane
DM
Dave_McElderry
Dec 27, 2003
Ray, not only did I try restarting it but I tried a full restart on the computer system. 🙁
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
Scott,

You’re welcome. Wish that Dave also had the slick install 🙁
SN
Scott_Nelson
Dec 27, 2003
Dave I just installed it here is what I did.
C/my programs/adobe/photoshop elements 2/plug-ins/filters and placed 3dsphere.8bf there.
I did not restart
I went to elements and File new and opened a blank
pallete. The went to filters>Richard Rosenman and tere it was.

Hope this helps,
Scott
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 27, 2003
Zig-Zag? Sounds like you are looking in the Distortion filters submenu. Look at your filters main headings. Do you see a line under "others"? It should be listed below this line. You should see Richard Rosenman in this location. Some add-ons appear where you are looking…but not this one.

Terri
DM
Dave_McElderry
Dec 27, 2003
Scott, that’s exactly where I placed the file, and have since also tried placing it just in the Plug-Ins folder. This is silly. I do appreciate everyone trying to help, though.
SN
Scott_Nelson
Dec 27, 2003
Maybe Terri hit it on the head.
First put up a blank palette.
Then at the top of elements click on
"filter". Under the list of filters you will see a line it should be under that.

Scott
DM
Dave_McElderry
Dec 27, 2003
Terri, thank you. Now that I know what I was doing I feel ashamed to admit it. You were sharp to realize that I was fishing in the wrong creek. Problem solved. Thanks again to all those who pitched in to help out. You’re a great group and I only hope that one day I will be able to give back some of the good will.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 27, 2003
No problem. We all bark up the wrong tree every so often. I’ve had my moment too. I couldn’t have helped if you wouldn’t hadn’t supplied as much input as you did. Glad you got it figured out. Those kind of things drive me crazy.

Terri
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
As an interesting aside, I run PSE version 1, and Rosenman’s plugins are loosely in the Plugin folder, not the Filters sub folder.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 27, 2003
That’s how mine are too. I like keeping the add-on filters seperate from my originals. I don’t know why…just picky…I guess.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Dec 27, 2003
Here’s how I do Plug-ins. This is something I did for CorelDraw and Corel Photopaint before I even had Elements 2.0 last summer. Now I can use the Photoshop compatible plug-ins in all three of these programs…AND if I ever had to reinstall any of them, they wouldn’t get deleted with the program’s plug-ins.

I created a folder on C:\ drive and named it Plugins. I place or unzip downloaded plug-ins in this folder UNLESS they have a self-installer (in that case, it does it for you). In Elements, Edit menu>Preferences>Plug-ins & Scratch disks tab, check the box beside Additional Plug-ins directory and then click on Choose and navigate to the highlight the created Plugins folder on C: drive. Click OK when you’re done, exit and restart Elements. Plug-ins should be there now at the bottom of the Filters menu.

Patti
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 27, 2003
I keep an updated copy of my plug-ins and presets in my documents folder. I lost some downloaded items once, and learned from my mistake. I may have to check into that suggestion Patti. I hadn’t thought about going that route.

Terri
PL
Paul_L_UK
Dec 29, 2003
Dave

You might be experiencing distortion with a resolution of 1280 x 1024 (5:4). You might want to try 1280 x 960 (4:3), your sphere should be a sphere then.

Paul
DM
Dave_McElderry
Dec 29, 2003
Paul,

I don’t have a 1280 x 960 resolution. Other than the 1280 x 1024 that I’m presently using, my other options are 1152 x 864, 1024 x 768, and 800 x 600. When I try anything else I am really not happy with the way the screen looks. Since I was not aware of any distortion as you describe, I created a fairly large sphere and measured it on screen with a ruler. It measured 6.5 inches in both axes. So I guess I don’t understand what kind of distortion you’re referring to. Maybe I don’t have full comprehension of the subject, but it seems to me that a different number of pixels in a particular axis would not cause distortion, but rather would only give less resolution (detail) in that axis. If I’m off base I’d appreciate any further explanation you could provide.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 29, 2003
I guess what Paul is saying is that if the basic screen dimensions are in a 4:3 ratio, using a screen resolution of 5:4 ratio may ‘flatten’ the pixels, making them non-square. Then if you had a sphere that had an x-axis of say 800 pixels and a y-axis of 800 pixels, it would look flattened instead of round. I’ve never tried that, but it’s logical…

Chuck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections