JP
Posted By
Jason_P
Oct 11, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have the same bug as the people who posted here: Caetryn, "[BUG—STILL!] Good bye, mouse cursor functionality" #73, 13 Sep 2005 7:36 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/72>

and here:
LenHewitt, "CS2: tools no longer work right (brush, text, etc.)" #1, 19 May 2005 1:28 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

When I am working on a image file, at random times the curson will stay on the default windows cursor or change to a horizontal resize cursor. I will then not be able to use any of the tools until I close and reload photoshop.

I have tried all the suggestions such as update my video drivers (I have an nVidia GeForce 6600GT), disable video hardware acceleration, run scandisk, disable all startup items, etc; but none have solved my problem. I am getting ready to throw CS2 out the window it is so annoying!!!

System information:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
nVidia GeForce 6600GT
1024MB Corsair PC-3200 DDR-SDRAM
Soltek SL-K890Pro-939
Windows XP Pro

Could someone from Adobe please confirm that this bug is recognized and will be fixed in a future patch? Thank you.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 11, 2005
Same processor & Vid card here.

This happens to me occasionally. I put it down to the fact my machines are worked quite hard, and because they are on 24/7 something will occasionally get out of kilter.

I know that a reboot will "cure" it. But if I’m in a hurry, I can get my cursor back simply by switching to Bridge then back to Photoshop.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 11, 2005
Actually, that sounds a lot like the old "dialog off the screen" problem.

Even if the tool cursor doesn’t display correctly, the tools are still useable.
JP
Jason_P
Oct 11, 2005
chrisjbirchall – Thanks for the input. Maybe it is a video-card related bug. Unfortunately, the problem still persists when I switch to Bridge, I wonder what is different with your system that opening Bridge would fix the bug temporarily.

Chris Cox – If you read my post it says "I will then not be able to use any of the tools until I close and reload photoshop". I would be able to stand it if the cursors were stuck and the tools still worked, but that is not the case. I lose all functionality to every single one of the tools.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 11, 2005
That means that something else is going on, like having a dialog off the screen (see the FAQ).

If it were just the video card, then the tools would still work.

Chris
JP
Jason_P
Oct 12, 2005
You mean this? Robert Levine, "Dialog box is missing??" #1, 14 Feb 2004 6:41 pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

Tried that too. Still no dice.
TM
Trevor_Morris
Oct 12, 2005
I too have seen this problem on a number of occassions. It’s not related to dialogs being off-screen, but I’ve not been able to figure out either how to reproduce the problem, nor how to "fix it" without having to reboot Photoshop and/or the computer.
JP
Jason_P
Oct 13, 2005
Exactly. Even if you use the SAME exact tools and work on the SAME image as when it occured, it won’t always reproduce.
JP
Jason_P
Oct 26, 2005
Still no official response or solution to this problem?
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 26, 2005
This is not an "official" web site but a User-to-User forum.
EZ
Earl_Zubkoff
Oct 26, 2005
If there is a hidden dialogue open, Escape should dismiss it (I think).

Jason, when you’re stuck in "useless mode" do the tool shortcut keys work? For example, does "v" make the Move Tool active? Do shortcut keys like control-S work? And how are you able to close Photoshop?
JP
Jason_P
Oct 28, 2005
John Joslin – I understand this forum is not "official" Adobe tech support. All I’m looking for is someone who can provide information about the bug that originated from an official source, since I have not found any trace of information elsewhere on the internet.

Earl Zubkoff – Thank you for you input, but we have already established that it is not a hidden dialog problem. Pressing "Escape" does not solve the bug. And again, the bug only affects the tools, all other options/menus/settings work except for the tools.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections