WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK so I have read all the post on tripods and understand about one word in a hundred. I know nothing at all about tripods …..

So …. what on earth are: Ball Head, Three Way Head

I have been playing around with night shots but couldn’t stop the camera shake, so the nice man next door let me borrow his video tripod. It stops the shakes OK BUT we live on a hill and getting a level shot took me forever, adjusting the individual legs was a nightmare also I can only use it in landscape mode (my camera just has a screw underneath).

So please for a total tripod idiot could someone explain them in very simple terms …. please

Thank you
Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 26, 2003
Three way heads …. Generally better for panning.

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&amp ;sectionid=7

Ball heads …. Generally preferred by high end still photographers.

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&amp ;sectionid=8

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 26, 2003
Grant, thanks for the link. The 3039 looks as complicated as some cameras! 🙂
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 27, 2003
Chuck, it is. Wait untill you have seen the 212 page manual!

Leen
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 27, 2003
Leen, the price of that head means I won’t see the manual for a long, long time!

🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 27, 2003
Thanks for the link …

I have visited several of these sites but nowhere does it explain what the different things are or what they do. I will try and get into the nearest town and visit a camera shop … until then 2 way, 3 way, ball heads, self leveling feet, crank or slide will just have to remain a total mystery 🙂

Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 27, 2003
Wendy

Well the three way head have three separate adjustments in the typical xyz axis (dreaded math classes). When you want to take a photography you adjust in three separate directions. Once the platform is levelled you can pan the tripod by moving it in only one direction very good for movies or car races.

With the ball head you simply move the camera around to the desired position is reached and then tighten one dial/wheel/lever this is very fast but not as good for panning.

While the hall heads tend to be more expensive a good three way can also cost the earth.

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 27, 2003
Bogen(Manfrotto) produces pretty good ball heads with a quick release plate at prices of about $50.-. In my opinion this isn’t very expensive.
I know, there are better and more expensive ball heads, but the average enthousiastic amateur photographer doesnot really need these expensive ones. (Although it is always nice to have one and to tell the neighbours the price of just only the ball head 😉 )

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 27, 2003
Chuck

I almost bought the 3039 better know as the 229 in Canada. You would love the 3039 it is an engineers dream, so well made. I ended up buying one level down, the 029, but still pant over the 229. I console myself in the knowledge that I made the right choice for me. Now if I had bought the 229 then I would be now drooling over the 329RC4 and if I bought the 329RC4 I would want 468RC4. Toy is there no limit to toys and the wants of boys.

Grant
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 27, 2003
I only take still photographs now as we gave up on the Video camera a long time ago. So it sounds like I need a ball head, do I have it right that a ball head will also avoid most of the leveling up of the tripod legs … it took me forever to get the picture straight using the tripod I have borrowed !

My camera shop do a few ball head ones <http://www.jessops.com/search/intellisearch.cfm?node=341> There must be a big difference between the different types but seeing that I will only use it for night shots what sort of price level should I go for?

Plus will a ball head fit on any tripod?

Sorry to ask so many questions but tripods are another planet to me 🙂
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 27, 2003
Wendy, using a ball head will avoid all the hassle with the tripod legs. Most ball heads will fit on any tripod. If you are in doubt, ask the salesperson to demonstrate it to you.

As you are living in the UK, almost anywhere you will be able to find a Jessops store; if you are willing to spend somme more money, in every major city is a Calumet store; as Calumet usually serves the professional, they will know what they talk about.

If you want to mail order, check <http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/> They are very reliable and knowledgeable, as I happen to know by experience.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 27, 2003
Wendy

Yes a ball head will help you avoid levelling of the tripod and some of the ball heads have level spirits built into them. As to cost the only rule of thumb I can offer is that the cost will rise depending on the weight that it intends to support. Unless you are planning in the future to make a majour change in the size of cameras you will be using you do not have to over spend. I would suggest you visit a well stocked camera store to get a feel of what is available. Some of the things to look for is how smoothly it operates, how securely will it lock with you camera on, how easy the locking device is activated, if there is spirit levels built in, and if it has a quick release. While all may not be eventual to your type of photographic needs they should all be considered. One final thought if you are only doing night time imaging and you want a spirit level how well will you be able to see it using a flash light.

Grant
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 27, 2003
Grant & Leen,

Thank you so much for all the help … I have decided to visit a camera store early next week and do what you suggest. I hadn’t realised that the more expensive ones generally supported heavier cameras … and I don’t think that I will move to a much heavier camera than I have. Good point about night usage and the spirit level.

Based on all your advice I am now going to write out a list before my visit to the camera shop. At least now I understand the questions to ask 🙂

Once again thanks for all your help.
Wendy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections