Posted By
stan_alachniewicz
Oct 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have a man running, and I want to put motion trails behind him so he looks like he’s running at the speed of light or something. I used motion blur, but it blurs both sides and doesn’t give me a very long motion trail. Can anyone tell me a way to do the same thing but to get a long motion trail?

Thanks,
Stan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 10, 2005
It could be anything, really, but try this for giggles and grins – it’s not a final, but maybe will lead you in the right direction.

Use a big big brush and the smudge tool, set as high as it will go. Drag it on his feet behind him. It just might create the effect you’re looking for.
SA
stan_alachniewicz
Oct 10, 2005
thanks, i didn’t think of that, I’ll give it a try 🙂
H
Ho
Oct 10, 2005
Isn’t there a Wind filter in there somewhere? As I remember it, it’s directional.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 10, 2005
Or, use the Wind Blur, horizontal, and History-Brush-erase the brur in front of Superman.

ob
P
Phosphor
Oct 10, 2005
Unfortunately, the Wind Filter isn’t nearly as configurable and predictable as it could (or should) be.

I’m surprised every time I use it that I don’t have to shovel another load of coal into Photoshop hopper.

🙂
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 10, 2005
As I remember it, it’s directional

Of course it’s directional, Ho! Ever see non-directional winds? Not where I come from! 🙂 (the windy Dutch coast).
Rob
AC
Art Campbell
Oct 10, 2005
If you don’t want to use drugs, I think I’d make the guy run really fast by making a copy of his layer and using the clone stamp tool on him with the size set really high, so you’re cloning the entire body… and dragging it out behind him. Then add blur, gradiation, and maybe adjust the opacity to fade the speed layer back a bit behind the original image layer.

Art
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 10, 2005
Ah. Art gave me an idea. You can make a brush out of him. You select him, create a brush and then paint with it, varying opacity and scatter and such.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Oct 10, 2005
Sometimes the Wind filter works better if you Invert first, and then Invert back after running the filter.
SA
stan_alachniewicz
Oct 10, 2005
Ho (from post 3), the wind filter is too short, I need a longer trail, but thanks.

Art,

Your suggestion sounds best so far, because I need a long trail. I was hoping CS2 had improved on the wind filter, but it’s still exactly the same.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Oct 10, 2005
Regarding the short trail of the Wind filter, just run it several times in a row.
SA
stan_alachniewicz
Oct 10, 2005
Art, your suggestion worked pretty well. Once blurring the trail, I duplicated the layer and heavied up the areas that needed to be darker.

John, thanks I forgot about that. I’ll try to enhance Art’s technique using your wind filter technique.

thanks.
RH
r_harvey
Oct 10, 2005
Wind, combined with stuttered copies of the edge of the man, behind him each a little more transparent than the one before. It’s kind of like the Six-million Dollar Man slow-mo running bit.

Speed lines don’t happen in real life, after all, so this is a little cartoony.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 10, 2005
Speed lines don’t happen in real life

Yes they do – that’s why they say "speed kills". At least that’s what *I* thought.
SA
stan_alachniewicz
Oct 10, 2005
hey guys,

speed lines also happen when superman runs really fast, but not for normal people. just thought I’d clear that up.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 11, 2005
Ah. Cool. Then I’m not really missing anything, not being from Krypton and all…
SA
stan_alachniewicz
Oct 11, 2005
🙂
ML
Mike_Logan
Oct 11, 2005
Point an AK47 at him…. NO… it’s not a PS Plug-In

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections