DM
Posted By
Dave_McElderry
Dec 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As a novice PE user I’m having a ball reading all of everyone’s posts and experimenting with the program. Sometimes it’s the smallest things that seem to give me the most trouble. This is one of them.

If I use the selection brush to select an area of a photo and then cut and paste that area onto another layer, I end up with parts of the pasted area that are semi-transparent. They look like brush strokes that allow part of the layer beneath to show through. I don’t get this if I select using a marquee or lasso tool. Sometimes, though, I prefer using the selection brush over these other tools.

Is this a normal behavior that others have experienced, or am I using the tool incorrectly?

Best of the holidays to everyone!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 24, 2003
Dave, make sure you have the Selection brush set to Hardness 100% on its toolbar – sounds like maybe you’re inadvertently using a soft brush which can act the way you describe.

Chuck
DM
Dave_McElderry
Dec 24, 2003
Chuck, an almost instantaneous and correct solution to a novice’s silly question. I thank you. I will not beat myself up over these kinds of questions right now. If I’m doing the same thing 6 months from now that will be a different story <G>. I appreciate it.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 24, 2003
Dave, If it’s a ‘silly question’, it’s probably not. And if it really is a silly question, we love ’em here.

It’s the extemely redunant questions about ‘color management’ and pixels that get a little tiring. I’ll take a silly question any time.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
Dave, don’t be so hard on yourself ! How else would you know ? That is why people like Chuck are here. Go ahead and ask away…no question is ever silly….well, it you read our thread drifts then maybe a little 😉
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 24, 2003
Dave, there are no silly questions on this forum – glad to see you using the Selection brush so early in your Elements experience. Ask away – lots of people here eager to help!

Merry Christmas to you!!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
Oh Chuck ya beat me to it !!!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 24, 2003
Jodi, I was going to say that we have no silly questions, but silly answers are a whole ‘nother story….
😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
Wanna start another thread drift ?

Remember that pic you sent me of someone’s pebble art on the beach ??? That is a winner !!! I want to post it….let me.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
actually they are little sea shells and not pebbles…i knew that,,I’m a duh.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 24, 2003
You didn’t say please…..and Santa Claus is watching…. 😉

p.s. of course
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
cool, hold on
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
oh wait…thank You !
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
Chuck’s beautiful photograph;

<http://www.mybizz.net/l/w/lwsfrye/Shell-Hands-and-Heart.jpg>

Wouldn’t this look so great blown up to poster size ??
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 25, 2003
That’s pretty cool. So simple yet uniquely creative.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 25, 2003
What a really good idea … it looks so good

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections