PM
Posted By
Paul_Musgrove
Oct 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought a Canon Rebel XT. The problem right now is that Photoshop CS (running under XP pro) will not import raw images (CR2) from the camera. In fact, it doesn;t even * see* them. THis was not always the case. When I first installed the canon software I did not install the WIA driver because I already
had one on my system for a Canon G1. THe first time I hooked the new camera up it installed automatically; the driver showed CR2 files and imported them with no difficulty.
Later, on the advice of a computer-knowlegable friend
I installed the driver from the REbel XT solutions disk. The new driver showed up in Photoshop, but would not read CR2 files. I tried the old driver (which originally worked) and it would no longer show the CR2 files. I have downloaded and installed the latest plug-in which is supposed to support the Rebel XT. No luck.
I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Rebel driver and it has had no effect. I can’t escape the feeling I’m missing something really simple here… Has anyone seen this problem?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 8, 2005
Paul,

Download the latest ACR/DNG converter (for CS-2), put the ACR aside (you can’t use it in CS), but install the DNG converter.

This will convert your cr2’s into dng’s, that can actually be read by your ACR 2.4

Rob
JS
Jim_Solt
Oct 9, 2005
The XT RAW files can only be read by ACR 3.1 and now 3.2. Neither of those plugins will work with CS. Minimum of Elements 3 or CS2 are required.
Using DNG (as suggested), the Canon software supplied with the camera or other RAW converters will be needed to edit your RAW photos in CS.

JIm
PM
Paul_Musgrove
Oct 9, 2005
Jim & Rob
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply…
Figuring that my problem might be the CS version, I broke down and updated to CS2. Still have the problem. CS2 doesn’t see the CR2 files (on my camera) either. (I’m really feeling HOSED, here…)
I was a bit surprised to find the ACR (assuming this is the camera raw 8bi plugin) was not in the package I downloaded, so I got it and placed it in plugins\file formats. No luck. CS2 (import) can see the jpegs on my camera, but not the CR2 files.
Anyhow, you guys were right about the DNG converter. It can read the files and convert them, so I can work around by using the Canon-supplied software to import the files, then use the DNG converter to make them TIFFS, then read them in Photoshop. It’s really clumsy… am I missing something here?
Thanks again, guys
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 9, 2005
Paul, Adobe Camera Raw in CS2 is in a different location from where it was in CS; it’s not in the plugins\file formats directory under the main Photoshop directory. Instead, it’s in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats" directory (this is a hardwired location, even if you have installed Photoshop to a custom location, such as the D: drive). The version of ACR that is your downloaded package may not be current; I’d download the latest (3.2) and install it in the specified directory.
PM
Paul_Musgrove
Oct 10, 2005
Michael
That explains why it wasn’t there when I looked. Thanks much.

Unfortunately, the new one doesn’t seem to have made a difference. I copied the new 8bi file (bigger than the one I found there — 4,497,408) into the right directory and gave it a go. No luck. CS2 still cannot see CR2 files unless they’re already on my computer.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 10, 2005
CS2 still cannot see CR2 files unless they’re already on my computer.

I had overlooked the fact that you were trying to see RAW files that are in your camera. Photoshop CS2 can’t do that, nor can Bridge. You have to either (a) use a card reader (which shows up as a local drive and is accessibel from CS2 and Bridge) and move/copy the images to your hard drive or (b) use the Canon software to transfer the images to your hard drive.

It’s also possible to use Windows Explorer to transfer the .CR2 files from the camera to your hard drive, but (at least with my Canon 10D) Windows Explorer does not see the accompanying .THM files containing the thumbnails, so it can’t copy them to your hard drive. (Not necessarily a big deal, as Bridge will create its own thumbnails.)

It may also be possible to use a Microsoft wizard of some sort, but I would hesitate to recommend that.

In any event, once you have transferred the files to your hard drive outside Photoshop, the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw should open them without difficulty.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 10, 2005
then use the DNG converter to make them TIFFS

??? DNG should give you *.dng files not tiffs

Rob
PM
Paul_Musgrove
Oct 12, 2005
Michael
Quite right, it (unfortunately) seems. For some reason photoshop CS2 simply can’t see CR2 files on my camera. Right now I’m importing them using the Canon software, then converting to TIFFS and/or (Rob — you’re correct, I misspoke myself) DNGs. This process works, but it’s just plain clumsy. Not what I’d have expected from Adobe. Based on past experience with Adobe, I would have thought support for the most recent digital SLRs would simply *be* there.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 12, 2005
You’re right – Photoshop CANNOT see files on your camera (or hope to support the many different protocols for downloading from cameras).

You have to transfer the files to your computer before Photoshop can possibly see them.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections