Double clicking file will not open it!!!

R
Posted By
Rahenkamp
Jul 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an issue with Photoshop CS where double clicking on the file will launch Photoshop OK but the file that I double clicked on fails to open. I have tried to get info on all .psd and select Photoshop as the program to open but this has no effect. Anyone run into this? Better yet does anyone have a solution. It has me scratching my head.

d

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Jul 16, 2004
How about double clicking the FAQ.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Jul 16, 2004
SW
Stan_Wagner
Jul 19, 2004
The Adobe Unit Types being in the Scripting Additions folder is the answer to the problem. Thanks
G
graffiti
Jul 19, 2004
The Adobe Unit Types being in the Scripting Additions folder is the answer to the problem.

You mean ONE of the answers right?
MB
myekal_benham
Jul 21, 2004
Hey there,

I have just noticed this as well. I think it mite have something to do with the latest apple software updates. I’m not sure but its seems to fit in when it started this weird behaviour with my system…

Myekie
R
Ram
Jul 21, 2004
Myekie,

And did you read the FAQ? Hope that fixed your problem.
AK
A_K_Noorian
Jul 23, 2004
I read the FAQ and it doesn’t apply to my case, because I am running 10.2.8, not 10.3. I have CS and 7 on the same computer. Neither one will allow me to double click or drag onto the icon to open the file. I have to do my opening from the "Open" menu options.
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Did you try the second solution given in the FAQs?
AK
A_K_Noorian
Jul 23, 2004
Do you mean this solution?
Open your Previous System folder.
Find "Adobe Unit Types".
Copy it into: <Panther volume>/Library/ScriptingAdditions

I don’t have a Panther volume because I’m not running Panther. I did have a Previous System Folder from when I had to reinstall my Jaguar operating system. I did have an "Adobe Unit Types: in the Library/ScriptingAdditions folder. I tried to drag it into my current folder, put it is not allowed because "ScriptingAdditions cannot be modified."

Is my only option to re-install CS?
R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Is my only option to re-install CS?

Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Trash your Photoshop preferences and re-install Photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
<< I tried to drag it into my current folder, put it is not allowed because "ScriptingAdditions cannot be modified." >>

Oh yes it can — but are you looking at the right folder.

Select your Library/Scripting Additions folder — NOT System/Library/Scripting Additions folder.

If you still can’t add items, Cmd. i (to open information) and unlock and change Ownership & Permissions.

And do yourself a huge favour by going, post-haste, to your nearest bookshop and buying a copy of David Pogue’s "The Missing Manual".

Also: << I don’t have a Panther volume because I’m not running Panther.>> The "volume" that we are talking about is the HD which contains your System, whether it’s Jaguar or Panther, and is possibly called "Macintosh HD"?
AK
A_K_Noorian
Jul 23, 2004
There is no ScriptingAdditions folder in the HD>Library. The only ScriptingAdditions folder is in the HD>System>Library. I changed O&P on the ScriptingAdditions folder, from System to me, added the "Adobe Unit Types" and now we’ll see if it works.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
<< There is no ScriptingAdditions folder in the HD>Library. >>

So …… MAKE ONE!
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2004
Have you tried reinstalling?

Just install to the desktop. Photoshop will place all files needed and it won’t screw anything up.
AK
A_K_Noorian
Jul 24, 2004
This is what worked for me. My problem was caused when I did a Software Install and Restore. I suppose it could happen if you install Panther over Jaguar.

Look in your HD>Library for a folder named ScriptingAdditions that includes a file named Adobe Unit Types. If you don’t have the folder or file, find the Previous System on your hard drive, look inside the Library and there should be a ScriptingAdditions folder with Adobe Unit Types inside. You don’t want the ScriptingAdditions folder in the HD>System>Library. Drag this folder to your current library, restart the computer, repair permissions, restart again and double-clicking on the icon should work fine.
RW
RD_Webster
Jul 25, 2004
Ok, I’ve got this problem and I’ve found the ScriptingAdditions folder with Adobe Unit Types in the Previous System folder. But you write, "You don’t want the ScriptingAdditions folder in the HD>System>Library. Drag this folder to your current library …" which is confusing to me. What library is my "current library" if not the HD>System>Library? Or did you mean to write, "You DO want the ScriptingAdditions folder in your current HD>System>Library."?

Thanks … this seems a whole lot easier, clearner, and faster than reinstalling Photoshop to the desktop.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
RD,

I don’t know which post may have confused you, but the correct path is indeed as you state: HD > System > Library.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
Actually I have mine in HD/Library NOT in HD/System/Library.

If you don’t have a folder called ScriptingAdditions in HD/Library, just make one and put "Adobe Unit Types" into it.
R
Ram
Jul 25, 2004
Ann,

I just looked, and there are ScriptingAdditions folders both in HD > Library AND in HD > System > Library.

The Adobe Unit Types file is indeed where you say: HD > Library.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
What appears to happen when you upgrade MacOS is that the entire ScriptingAdditions folder (including its contents of "Adobe Unit Types") gets removed from HD/Library and shoved into the Previous Systems folder.

You then have to either rescue it from "Previous Systems" or re-install Photoshop to get it back.
JW
Jim_Warthman
Aug 15, 2004
This worked for me – but I have one important clarification.

The Adobe Knowledge Base article (http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/338f6.htm) says to move the "Adobe Unit Types" file to:

[hard disk]/Library/Scripting Additions folder

At least in my case, this did NOT work, until I removed the space between "Scripting" and "Additions". Then it worked fine.

Enjoy!

— Jim
R
Ram
Aug 15, 2004
Good catch, Jim!

I hope the forum hosts catch this and correct the FAQ.
B
Buko
Aug 15, 2004
Its done.
JW
Jim_Warthman
Aug 15, 2004
Good work, folks!

(BTW, I think the FAQ was fine, it was just the Knowledge Base article that had the problem.)

Thanks!

— Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections