Posted By
Nissenasse
Oct 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

I am using CS2 on Windows XP. If my hard disks are asleep when I start PS then all of the disks start up.

This includes one FireWire hard disk, one IDE and two SATA disks. I have never used the FW and the IDE disks with PS, still it seems as PS is starting them up.

This causes PS to start a bit slow when the disks are sleeping. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Oct 8, 2005
I can think of two reasons:

1. The scratch disk is accessed at program launch. If it sleeps, it’s woken.

2. The file browser checks all directories that have thumbnails, particularly perhaps the "favorite" folders.

I expect the HDD’s going back to sleep after PS launch.

Rob
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 8, 2005

3. When Photoshop launches it gets information about all the drives to see if they can be used as scratch drives or not. Apparently your disk drivers want to wake up the drives even to get information about them (something I haven’t previously seen).
D
deebs
Oct 8, 2005
3a – it looks for hard disk identifiers?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 9, 2005
Actually, it just aks the OS how many disks there are, then for each disk: how big is it, and is it local, remote, or removable.
D
deebs
Oct 9, 2005
Chris – I am sorry I bated you with item 3a

Thanks for the response – from a well-chuffed human being at the response from one so esteemed within the digital image processing community

a humble and humbled deebs
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 10, 2005

[Previous 12 O/T Posts deleted by F/HOST – signal to noise ratio too low]

Okay. Black coffee kicks in so I can see clearly enough to read the OP.

Nissenasse: Of my two machines, the one which runs Photoshop is set so the disks don’t go to sleep – specifically because PS uses the scratch intensely.

Both machines are on 24/7. Interestingly, the one which seems to burn disks out is the one in which they stop/start all the time.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 11, 2005
O/T Posts deleted by F/HOST – signal to noise ratio too low

Hey, after all the whisky, none of us even care anymore <g>

<RSTNR>
Here is an article which suggests a disk crash is most likely to occur on start-up, and that it is the number of stop/start cycles which determines the life of a hard disk.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk>

On this basis I guess it is better to leave the computer running 24/7 and not to have the disks "go to sleep" after a period of inactivity.
</RESTORE SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO>

Chris.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 11, 2005
I think the jury is still out on the 24/7 versus "turn it off at night" controversy.
J
JW1000
Oct 11, 2005
I have certainly noticed this. And the problem comes from a defective design within CS2. CS1 and earlier versions cause no such behavior. The Windows XP OS is performing properly and per design. It is entirely a CS2 problem which Adobe has no plans to fix.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 11, 2005
Please ignore the troll with the bad logic and no clues.
J
JW1000
Oct 12, 2005
Please ignore Chris. He and his company have no plans to fix the defects that exist in CS2.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 12, 2005
defects that exist in CS2

JW: you must have a different CS2 to me.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 12, 2005
Same here, except "from me" instead of "to me," since I’m a colonial.
N
Nissenasse
Oct 12, 2005
Ok, thank you all for your answers. I got an explanation of the behavior, a kind of solution and a good laugh 🙂

…. and thank you mr Cox for your patience. I am curious wether you are contributing to the Forum by forced labour or if it was your own initiative… but I suppose that question will remain unanswered.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 12, 2005
I’m here on (mostly) my own time – I read the forums while waiting on other things (compiles, email, etc.).

And the forums have been a great way to get information on problems long before tech support sees the pattern.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 12, 2005
….and we really do appreciate your input Chris.
WK
William Kazak
Nov 8, 2005
I will give you a clue in case no one ever mentioned it to you before; all of a computers Hard Drives are spinning at all times after the computer is turned on.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections