RJ
Posted By
Raymond_Jacobs
Dec 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I place 3 or 4 different pictures on one page??
I want to print and/or e mail the result.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am very new to picture editing so please make it simple. I am using Photoshop Elements 2.0. on a Dell 4600.The printer is an HP 2210 all in one. Thanks,Ray

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JR
John_R._Collins
Dec 22, 2003
Hi,
I hope this will help:
1) File,New,chose a document size of 8×10 or design your own such as 11×8.5".
2) Open the 3 pictures you want.
3) Drag each to your "New" document.
4) Process each by selecting one of them and then use the handle at the corner of the picture to resize. Hold down shift while resizing so the shape does not change. Move each picture to proper position by holding down your left button as you drag.
5) When this part is done, go to File, Save for Web. You will be saving your picture as a jpg. Decide on the amount of compression as this will affect the file size you are sending.

John
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 22, 2003
Watch that you don’t get your pictures out of wack when putting your photos together. I accidentally, made my family into coneheads last time I put several pictures together.
R
Robearet
Dec 23, 2003
This has also been a problem for me in Elements. I’m trying to make John’s solution work, but haven’t got the hang of it yet. That said, I think it’s pretty shortsighted of Adobe not to give us this layout capability when many lesser programs do. Does anyone know if they plan to correct this anytime soon?

Bob Brunson
Columbia, SC
wrote in message
How do I place 3 or 4 different pictures on one page??
I want to print and/or e mail the result.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am very new to picture editing so please make it simple. I am using Photoshop Elements 2.0. on a Dell 4600.The printer is an HP
2210 all in one.
Thanks,Ray
LC
la_cienega
Dec 25, 2003
had the same problem.

i`m getting there now… thanks john.

no coneheads. but the pictures are smaller than i wanted them to be. but i guess i`ll figure out the rest…..
LC
la_cienega
Dec 25, 2003
no, it doesn`t work actually.

it says:
13 Width
9,75 Height

but the printed pictures looks like this:
9,7 Width
7,3 Height

if i print only one picture on one page, it works fine…

any help appreciated.
LC
la_cienega
Dec 25, 2003
it`s cm by the way.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 25, 2003
If you’re getting the correct size when you print one picture but not when you’ve got more than one on a page, it sounds related to variations in resolution and/or the ability to get tight control over size when you use the method the first poster gave.

I don’t happen to create pages for printing multiple pictures the same way John does (no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’, just different.) Mine is a little more cumbersome, but it might help you get everything sized more to your liking. It’s also good "practice" in understanding the relationship between resolution and size.

I always make sure that each image I want to place on one sheet has been resized to my exact specification for document size before moving it. If these are images from my camera, I always have to do some cropping in order to get a standard size picture. The aspect ratio of most cameras just doesn’t match what we’ve come to expect the "correct" picture size to be.

I also make sure that all of the pictures I want to print are the same resolution before trying to move them. When creating a new blank document, you have to choose a resolution. If that resolution isn’t the same as the image moved on to it, the image takes on the resolution of the blank document. So, if you create a blank document at 300ppi and move a 200ppi image on it, that image will appear to shrink in size.

It’s kind of early in the morning here, so I might be missing some other issue effecting your printing problem. Try my method, though, and if it doesn’t work, please repost.
JR
John_R._Collins
Dec 25, 2003
Raymond,

I’ve been feeling guilty for days! I forgot to mention that in the "Save for Web" page, you should resize your composite to 640 pixels as your larger dimension. The other dimension will be automatically correct if you check "constrain proportions" in the New Size window. Choose a degree of compression that will make your final picture have a reasonable memory size. If you go to <) without the "nospam", you can go to my vacation (trip) pictures to see some examples of multiple pictures on a page.

Merry Christmas to all,

John
LC
la_cienega
Dec 25, 2003
thanks, beth…. but i still can`t make it work somehow.

what resolution do i need to choose if i want the pictures to be 9,75 x 13 cm (which is the same as width: 2048 pixel, length: 1536 pixel i believe)? the resolution of the pictures are 157,539 pixel/cm (or 400,147 pixel/zoll… zoll is the same as inch i guess)
after editing. and what resolution should i choose for the new blank document?

do my questions make any sense? i`m kinda confused right now.

work on a mac, but that makes no difference, does it?

yeah, merry christmas!
LC
la_cienega
Dec 25, 2003
or what resolutions do you choose if you want the pictures 4" x 6" (which is almost the same as 10 x 15 cm i guess)?
LC
la_cienega
Dec 26, 2003
not sure what i did, but the pictures i just printed are 11,4 x 8,5 (cm) instead of 9,75 x 13 (cm). bigger than before at least. :o) whatΒ΄s wrong?!
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 26, 2003
When I have a photograph that needs to be sized specifically, I use the crop tool. I enter specific dimensions such as a width of 6 in and a height of 4 in, with the resolution set at 200. you could also use 9.75 cm x 13 cm. This usually produces the results I am looking for. If you want to put more than one image on a larger piece of paper, create a new document the size that you want and set it at the same resolution as your individual pictures. Then, just open each individual picture and drag it onto the new document. Each photograph will be on its own layer in this new document, so if you have the layer pallet open you can select the appropriate later and then use the move tool or the arrow keys to position your photographs appropriately.

Take note that when you indicate a specific size for the crop tool you will be limited to cropping in that aspect ratio. Then when you accept the crop that is the picture that will be printed. I hope this will provide you with some additional help.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 27, 2003
la cienega,
The numbers you posted for the pix are confusing…so let’s try to make this simple. I believe you said your images are 1536×2048 pixels. If you want to put four uncropped images in an 8 x 10 area, then each image needs to by 4×5 inches. Well, not quite, because the length-to-width ratio of 1536/2048 is 3:4, and 8×10 paper is 4:5. So, here’s a simple solution. Use an area of 7.5 x 10 on the paper. That means your images have to be 3.75 x 5 inches.
To reduce the images to that size, the easiest thing to do is to change the resolution. 2048/5 = 410 pixels per inch. So, for each image, go to Image->Resize->Image Size and with the Resampling box UNchecked and the Constrain Proportions box checked, change the resolution to 410. The image size will change to 3.75 x 5.0 (it will differ by a tiny fraction…ignore that)
Now open the other three images and repeat the above.
Finally, open a new canvas (File->New) and set the width to 10, height to 7.5 and the resolution to 410.
Now, use the move tool to simply drag the four images onto the canvas and position them. Bert
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 27, 2003
Some further thoughts: The procedures suggested by others will work equally well. The method I suggest has its advantages and disadvantages:
ADVANTAGES: It’s simple, and you lose no image data through resampling. DISADVANTAGES: You are printing an image at over 400 ppi which is somewhat higher than necessary. 300 ppi is considered by most people to be about optimum for printing. This should not hurt your print quality, but it might take a little longer for the printer to prepare it for printing.

Bert
LC
la_cienega
Jan 18, 2004
thanks a lot, bert. it worked. πŸ™‚ i confused cm and inch somehow in the beginning.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 18, 2004
la cienega,
After I wrote those instructions, I realized that I had assumed that your images were "landscape" orientation, not "portrait"…that is, the top/bottom were the long dimension. If you had portrait-oriented images, you could do the same thing by making the canvas 10 inches high and 7.5 wide instead of vice-versa, and all the rest of the instructions would be the same.
bert
LC
la_cienega
Jan 18, 2004
hm, i had a different problem (beside the resolution thing). i didn`t select "inch" all the time, but "cm" sometimes…. stupid, i know.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 18, 2004
Hey, in this stuff, life is a series of "stupid" mistakes. They’re all stupid when you look back at them.
I’m curious…is your handle also your address? Do you live among the restaurants? Bert
LC
la_cienega
Jan 19, 2004
no, it`s not. πŸ˜‰ i`m simply a fan of ryan adams` song "la cienega". πŸ™‚ i live on the other site of the ocean…
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 19, 2004
i live on the other site of the ocean…

Oh, your address zone shows as "Pacific" so I thought…well, no matter. In case you don’t know, La Cienega Blvd. is a major street in West Los Angeles which is very famous for its fine restaurants. In fact, a section of it is known as "Restaurant Row."
Bert
PS – who’s Ryan Adams?
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 19, 2004
Lemme guess, Bert, your age is starting to show! πŸ™‚

And, in the web view of the forums all times are shown as Pacific ‘cuz y’all are where Adobe is.

Dick
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 19, 2004
Ryan Adams used to sing with Benny Goodman ?

<GRIN>
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 20, 2004
Lemme guess, Bert, your age is starting to show!

Hey, if it ain’t showing, Dick, I don’t know why. It’s hard to hide!

Ryan Adams used to sing with Benny Goodman ?

Brent, you must be older than me….:)
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 20, 2004
Brent and Bert….re Benny Goodman, wasn’t that Edie Adams??

πŸ™‚

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections