RM
Posted By
Robert_McCracken
Dec 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently upgraded my pc with a belkin 4 port usb 2 card for my new epson R300 printer. Every time I send a picture to the printer from Elements 2.0 it prints out darker than shown on the monitor. Yet when I save the picture to a compact disk and load it in the printer it prints fine and is not so dark. Epson has checked the printer and it is working correctly. Can any one explain why this is happening?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent_bertram
Dec 21, 2003
Robert,
It certainly could happen if your monitor profile is not accurate. Take a look at Ian Lyons’ tutorial on the Adobe Gamma calibration and create a new monitor profile, <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> .

🙂

Brent
LK
Leen_Koper
Dec 21, 2003
Robert, usually monitors are too bright for editing images. It is much easier to sell a too bright monitor instead of a correctly calibrated one. No problem if you use your computer for websurfing, editing text or games.

Leen
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 22, 2003
You can also check ‘color settings’. Mine is set at ‘no color management’ and I get something closer to what I see on my monitor. I don’t know where they keep this on a PC.
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 22, 2003
The reason "no color management" gives closer results is that it uses a generic monitor rgb settings that more accurately depict a typical uncalibrated monitor. It is not your best choice, except in cases where you can’t get the Adobe Gamma utility to accurately profile your display. I’d personally prefer the limited color management – sRGB space, so that I was working in a defined space. I know many people who dislike the "richness" of the AdobeRGB colorspace in their images.

🙂

Brent
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 22, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion Brent. I’ll give it a try.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 22, 2003
Brent – The only problem with that is that my (untagged) camera images come into sRGB (with limited color management on) looking too dark and skin tones are far too red – not as bad as them being converted to AdobeRGB if I have full colour mangement on when they are wildly off target. If I have colour management on I have to do colour adjustment on every single image – which is a PIA. So I have teh Ignore EXIF installed and colour management off.

On a mac running Panther you can choose the colour space that color sync uses for untagged images – the option I have is to use my screen (callibrated) profile as the colour space (the default iwas one of the generic RGB profiles as you suggest). I presume that flows through into Elements choice – can anyone confirm this?

The colour management in Panther is poorly documented – Mark – you’ve just switched from 10.1.5 to Panther and I did the same a few days ago – I was having all sorts of problems until I realised that the default setting in image capture was to tag the imported images with a colour profile, I suddenly found that ignore EXIF appeared not to be working and it took me a while to realise that all my newly downloaded images were tagged instead of untagged and then even longer to track down why….And there is something broken in the way that iphoto recognises profiles – if you change a profile in Elements, save it back to the iphoto foldders, then iphoto won’t recognise the change in the organise and edit windows until you quit and reload. (and sometimes not even then…) Bizarrely the change registers OK if you play a slideshow.
Apart from that (and athe fact that session burning of discs through Disk utility is broken) Panther works much better than earlier version tho’

Susan S.
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 23, 2003
Susan,
I wonder if you’ve used AppleScript at all, to tag the camera images with "ColorMatch RGB" space. It’s a much brighter space , based on a 5000K temperature monitor . I use it occasionally , when it makes a pic look closer to what I want ( depends a lot on the lighting ). Peter Gaunt, a onetime frequent visitor here, found that as his primary solution ( he’s a MAC guy ), last that I heard from him. There’s no obvious perfect solution that I’m aware of for digital cameras and color space. I use BruceRGB mostly, now, it’s not as rich as AdobeRGB but has a good gamut for an inkjet printer. The darn digital camera would need a different profile for every different lighting condition, I’m thinking.

🙂

Brent
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 23, 2003
Susan, another sticky point is that in panther colorsync by default sets up a generic RGB profile as your working space for untagged photos. You may need to go to the Colorsync utility>prefs and change it to your monitor profile. This default is new in panther, so if you got good color before and are having trouble now, you might want to fish around in there, too.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 23, 2003
Barbara – thanks – I’ve done that already! And actually for the first time using OSX, the colorsync option on the printer dialogue is actually working to give me decent prints – very slightly dark but the colour is extremely accurate. I suspect the darkness is due to the fact that my imac (CRT) screen can’t be totally accurately profiled with the monitor panel as I can’t adjust the brightness up high enough at the start of the process to see the image within an image as requested. ( I never have been able to)

Susan S.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections