Forcing a network scratch disk in PhotoShop 7?

D
Posted By
DaveK
Aug 30, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a gigabit network, with a large and fairly fast RAID on another computer. I would like to force Photoshop to use it as a scratch disk because even though it’s not local it should be quite fast (128 MB/Sec full duplex on the network, so speed will be limited by the drives in the RAID which are not quite that fast).
Photoshop won’t let me select it, and if I edit the preferences file to try and force it, it defaults back to the startup drive. Is there a way around this?

– Dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
DCGarrett
Sep 19, 2005
DaveK wrote:
I have a gigabit network, with a large and fairly fast RAID on another computer. I would like to force Photoshop to use it as a scratch disk because even though it’s not local it should be quite fast (128 MB/Sec full duplex on the network, so speed will be limited by the drives in the RAID which are not quite that fast).
Photoshop won’t let me select it, and if I edit the preferences file to try and force it, it defaults back to the startup drive. Is there a way around this?

– Dave
The solution should be a function of your OS (windows?)
Map your remote drive to look like a local drivespace & photoshop won’t know the difference.
If it’s windows try mapping a drive letter to your network work dir & then pointing photoshop scratch space to the mapped drive.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections