TA
Posted By
T_A_Beasley
Dec 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to use Photoshop to view multipage TIFF images, with no interest in editing. I assume Elements 2.0 lets me do this, but I haven’t stumbled upon the proper menu commands, the manual doesn’t seem helpful, and Help doesn’t.

Seeing page 1 isn’t a problem; but can I get to pages 2-60?

Tx for any assistance.

Tim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BobHill
Dec 19, 2003
Tim,

I don’t know what created your multi-page doucment, but PhotoShop/Elements will not view multi-page documents. If it’s a PDF that’s recobnized by Elements, it’ll have to be opened one page at a time (as opted from the opening of PDF). But depending upon what created it in the first place, it’s also possible that Elements might not recognize the PDF in the first place. PDFs are not created to be edited (especially by programs it was not created in), but are end products to be viewed by Acrobat Reader (available free to all from: <http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html>

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 19, 2003
Elements won’t do but the first page.
Photoshop won’t either (unless that’s changed in CS).

You can use IrfanView to view individual pages in a TIFF file like that (and save individual pages as separate images to open in Elements).

Mac
RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 19, 2003
Mac,

That is not 100% true, about only opening the first image. The dialog in the pdf page selector plug-in, which you see when you attempt to open a PDF from the File>Open dialog, will let you choose any page to open in a mulitpage PDF, but only one at a time. It will open the entire page with text and graphics, but will rasterize it.

If you have a pdf document with multiple images, you can use the File >Import >PDF Image command which will open the PDF image import plug-in. That allows you to extract the images from a PDF document that may or may not contain images and text. If you select Import All it will open the images contained in the pdf as multiple, separate documents.

Rich
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 20, 2003
Rich, I thought we were talking multi-page TIFF here, as per the subject heading, no PDF.

Mac
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 20, 2003
What IS a multi-page TIFF?! I didn’t even know such a creature existed. (I live a sheltered life.)
B
BobHill
Dec 20, 2003
Mac

What program will make a multi-page TIFF format? For instance CorelDraw (vector program) will produce multi-page documents and can include TIFF raster images, but that would be a CDR format, not TIFF. Same as multi-page PDF from InDesign can include TIFF images, but the format is still PDF.

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 20, 2003
IrfanView will create them (and read them).
Generally, multi-page TIFFs are made by FAX or proprietary document scanning/managing programs, not by mainstream image editors.

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 20, 2003
Oh yeah, meant to mention, the Windows Imaging that came with Win95/98/NT (licensed from Wang, then Kodak) will also read multi-page TIFFs, but not sure if it will create them.

Mac
TA
T_A_Beasley
Dec 21, 2003
I really did mean multipage TIFFs. I wish I were using PDFs.

Mmmm…I know XnView and a few other freeware/shareware programs make multipage TIFFs I don’t think the Kodak program does. The ones I’m working with were made with proprietary software. Bundles of manufacturing documents. Bundling them into multipage image files means that nobody loses a page, they can be e-mailed or archived, and it doesn’t matter what language(s) they’re in.

The company that produced the documents embedded some text into the files using Windows Imaging software, which does *not* follow the TIFF standard. Only the Windows software sees it, otherwise I miss crucial bits of text. So it turns out that I’m fighting a Microsoft/Kodak gremlin; by definition, I lose. MS/Kodak Imaging it’ll have to be.

And while multipage TIFFs are part of the TIFF standard protocol, serious imaging people don’t use them, so apparently Elements ignores them.

Tx, y’all.

Tim
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 21, 2003
Wow, Tim, you are fighting "city hall", aren’t you? I just thought I’d mention that Elements was developed as a consumer level product, so it would be logical they’d leave out a capability like this. And, of course, if serious imaging people don’t make use of multipage TIFFs, then Adobe probably hasn’t included this ability in its pro software, either. Bummer for you.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections