MK
Posted By
Martin_Kuhn
Dec 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I go to insert text into something, Elements seemingly randomly, decides that 72 pts should be unreadable to the unaided eye. At 100% magnification you can not even begin to guess that there is any text in front of you. By looking at the layers palatte, I know that there is something there. But without it, or the aid of a microscope, I would not know that there is any text in front of me at all.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 19, 2003
Could you please give an example of what you’re working on? What’s the resolution of the background? What’s the point size of the text you’re applying? I can’t tell if the solution might be as simple as changing a setting or if something else is going on.
MK
Martin_Kuhn
Dec 20, 2003
I’m not sure where to check for the resolution of the background. But it does it without any background also. It doesn’t matter what size the text is or what size I want it to be. After I’m done editing the first block of text I want to create in a file, Elements automatically calls that point size, no matter if it was 12 pt., 72 pt., whatever by some outlandishly high number like the one I’m working with now — it started at 72pt. text and Elements now thinks it is 1296 pt.
After I have deselcted the text I can no longer adjust its size. If I set it back to 72pt. or whatever smaller point (since I can’t set it higher) the text becomes miniscule at any magnification setting.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 20, 2003
Wow, I’m really having trouble imagining this, so for starters, let’s try deleting the Elements Preference folder. I’m assuming this is something that used to work correctly by the way. Is that true?

To delete the Preferences: With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and make a very quick grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you see a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes. The folder will rebuild as Elements continues to launch.

When I was referring to the background, I meant the image onto which you are placing the text – whether it’s a new document you’ve created yourself or a picture you’re working on. You can check the resolution by going to Image>Resize>Image Size. It’s displayed toward the bottom of the screen.

Good luck!
DP
David_P_Gates
Dec 27, 2003
I am having the same problem. When I insert text into the picture nothing shows up on the screen. The cursor is very tall and extends below the screen, so I zoomed out to around 4% and the type ended up a couple inches below the picture. Very aggrevating

The resolution of my pictire is 300 pixles/inch.

I am totally new to this program and I haven’t figured out a lot of the simple functions of this program but this seems very odd.
DS
Debbie_Steinhausser
Dec 28, 2003
This sounds like the other side of the problem I just posted about the huge (seemingly uncontrollable) font size. Could they be related? In PS7 if I set the font size at .4 I then get about a 10 pt font.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 29, 2003
I think I know what is causing the problem. It had me baffled as well.

Look at the dimensions of your image. I expect that if your text size appears very tiny it is because you have a large image. And the opposite would be true if your font size seems overly large. Try text on a standard 4×6 or 5×7 and it looks more appropriately sized.

You can find the file dimensions by clicking the numbers at the bottom of the window in which your image appears.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Dec 29, 2003
The very same question is under discussion in another thread, Oversize text cursor.
JS
Jaclyn_Styles
Dec 30, 2003
i’m havinga problem w/ the text being too small .. the text has always worked fine w/ me .. and suddenly it changed .. the only thing i did was press "reset all settings" .. maybe this has something to do w/ it, maybe not .. either way, i jts what to know how to fix it!!!
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 30, 2003
Jaclyn, if you’ve used it before and are quite sure you have everything lined up correctly in terms of resolution, etc., try deleting the Elements Preference folder. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes. The folder will rebuild as Elements continues to launch. Something may have become corrupted, and, if so, this should fix it.

Post back and let us know if this fixed it. If you’re still having trouble, also give a little more information, such as the platform you use and some information about the image you’re working on, like the format and resolution. The more information a person gives when they post a problem, the more likely they are to get a helpful answer.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections