O.T. If you had difficulties choose a digital camera in 2003, read this!

R
Posted By
Ray
Dec 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03121801canons20newcamera. asp

WOW ! Imagine the size of the threads when someone will request info on the best digital to buy.. 😉

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 19, 2003
I saw that earlier today. Scary, isn’t it?
R
Ray
Dec 19, 2003
Oops.. big grammatical mistake in the title : "difficulties choosing.." My appologies

Shan, you see, you’re not alone 😉

Ray
R
Ray
Dec 19, 2003
I already thought there were too many Canon models (simplify the line would make shopping a whole lot easier)…

Ray
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 19, 2003
Ray,
Yes, I wonder why they think 20 new models will help their market penetration…unless they offer significant performance/price improvements. I would think they would be better off concentrating their efforts on a smaller number of models…but then, I’m not in the camera manufacturing or marketing business. Canon is a very successful company with very impressive products. I think their products compare very favorbly with Nikon’s, across the product lines.
Bert
R
Ray
Dec 19, 2003
I agree with you, their brand recognition must be very high. What this article didn’t say is that, probably, a few of their existing models will be discontinued. And that perhaps, the new ones, will
come with USB 2.0 or FireWire. This would be a significant change.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 19, 2003
I noticed that article also stated Canon wants to push their small photo printers. My guess is that many of those new models will be consumer level – hitting at the people like my cousin who want a very simple process through which they can take a photo and print immediately.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Dec 19, 2003
I don’t know for you (or any other on this forum), but I never printed a picture without retouching it first, even the least possible touchup.

It seems there’s always something that’s not right. Especially with my 10D, because its picture size needs croping to fit 8 x 10 size.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 19, 2003
I agree, Ray. My printer will print directly from a card, but I’ve never put one in there. All of mine need some cropping – which I want to control, and they usually need color correction of some sort, too. And how would I know if I even wanted to print it without viewing it first on a decent sized screen? Sometimes what looks OK on the LCD sure isn’t anything I want when I get a good look at it! However, there are a lot of people who get a bang out of direct prints. That doesn’t appeal to me, because I’m not a good enough picture taker. 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 19, 2003
That doesn’t appeal to me, because I’m not a good enough picture taker.

Fiddle dee dee, Beth, I’ve seen your wolves.

I agree. I don’t see the appeal of this. Most of the people I know who think digital cameras aren’t worth much would just get reinforcement in that idea if they printed that way.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 19, 2003
But then again, I know a lot of people who don’t have computers who think they want a digital camera (duh!) and I guess they’d be happy to do it that way.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 19, 2003
I think a lot of people just don’t "get it" when it comes to digital cameras and digital image processing. They don’t realize what is possible, so they just expect the usual pile of mediocre 4×6 prints that they get from their film developer. It’s really a shame, because they aren’t getting the benefits of the technology they are paying for.
Bert
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 19, 2003
Well thank you, Barbara, but my wolves are a prime example of why I need a good editing program and wouldn’t want to print the image as it comes from the camera! 🙂 And I hope Canon includes a nice high res point and shoot for people like me in their new lineup, too. One drawback to all of this "learning" I’ve been exposed to on the forum is the realization that any decent picture I might produce will be because of my ability to edit, not because of my ability to compose a shot. I’m definitely a better genealogist than I am a photographer.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 19, 2003
any decent picture I might produce will be because of my ability to edit, not because of my ability to compose a shot

Well, there are a lot of highly successful pros who would have to say the same about some of their most effective photos if they were being honest about it.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 20, 2003
I certainly fall in that category too. Once in a while, I "luck out" but I am not very good at visualizing a photo when I look at a scene.
That’s why I love digital cameras so much, because I can just shoot and shoot, and something always seems to turn out to be worth saving, especially after the magic of Photoshop is applied.
Bert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections