ML
Posted By
Marilyn_Lee
Mar 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It seems digital camera models come and go as fast as computers. Today, a model is the latest and greatest; tomorrow, it’s yesterday’s oatmeal. So, I’m wondering how safe it is to purchase a camera that is being dropped, like the Minolta Dimage S414. Do these cameras have proprietary parts (memory cards, batteries) that could be difficult, impossible, or expensive to replace once the camera is off the market?

I remember needing to obtain a backup AC/DC adapter for an office Gateway notebook computer that was less than 3 years old but was a discontinued model. We paid $50 for the part one month and it literally went to $100 the following month when Gateway dumped all its inventory for that model. Would something similar happen with digital cameras?

I suppose the Dimage S414 will be replaced by another model, but the new model won’t necessarily be better and it will probably be back up to the S414’s original price, putting me back out of the market again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MLee

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 3, 2004
Marilyn,

When I bought my first digital camera, a Kodak DC290, it was also discontinued and I got over two good years of service out of that baby.

I believe Barb W. uses that camera and you’ve seen the results she gets haven’t you? I only wish I could get those kind of results! Course she’s an amazing and fantastic photographer as well, so that helps. 🙂

I’d set a budged and get the best camera you can for what you’re willing to pay regardless of whether or not it’s discontinued.

On the other hand, I’m a techno/gadget freak/dork/geek so I like to get the latest and greatest when I can.

Hmmm… Not much help am I?

Joe
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 3, 2004
Also, that camera uses AA batteries and Compact Flash cards so you should be safe there.

Joe
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Mar 3, 2004
Thanks, Joe. I guess I’m used to my 20-year-old Canon A-1 that’s still going strong. I should know by now that a 2-year-old anything in today’s world is probably on its way out. And, yes, I love Barb’s pictures, especially the close-ups (while realizing that her talent doesn’t come packaged with the camera) 🙂

I like the fact that this camera can run on AA’s in a pinch. Our office camera uses proprietary batteries only, and I’ve managed to find myself without either powered-up batteries or my AC/DC adapter at the worst time.

I never realized until I started really looking that digital camera peripherals can equal the cost of the camera itself, so I’ve had to downsize the amount I can pay for the basic camera. Still, it would be nice to have something in the digital realm.

Appreciate your comments, and they do help! 🙂

Marilyn
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 3, 2004
Our office camera uses proprietary batteries only

Yeah my new camera uses a squarish li-ion proprietary battery as well and I was a little unsure of that. I’ve been very pleased with battery life, though, and I did buy an extra ($29.00). It’s certainly something to think about and factor into your decision but I wouldn’t let it dictate your choice of camera.

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 3, 2004
Marilyn: I’ll never give up my Canon A-1, even though it’s been neglected for some time now. And its lenses aren’t compatible with the Canon EOS series… But it’s a classic – at least for me!

Chuck
SR
Schraven_Robert
Mar 3, 2004
Marilyn,

Where would you find outdated digital camera’s?
It seems the moment there is a new model the old ones seem to evaporate. May be because producers take them back to avoid happening exactly what you are proposing namely that a whole group of people wait for models to be discontinued and then buy them.
Whilst reading this thread I realised that when you buy a discontinued camera you also should buy the parts that go with it, like a back up battery and may be a usb cable. These things may go out of fashion equally as fast as the camera.

Robert
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Mar 3, 2004
Marilyn,

I would highly recommend buying the Minolta Dimage S414, just make sure it is ‘new’ and comes with the ‘one year warranty from Minolta’. I’ve had mine almost a year now, I paid close to $400 here’s < http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/main/MinoltaUSA/MUSAContent /CPG/CPGProducts?cname=dig> a link to the camera at Minolta. Guess the replacement model for it hasn’t been released yet, it’ll be sometime this month.

Some extras you may want to consider are: I use 4 "AA" Rechargeable NiMH batteries, it’s best to have at least two sets. I also use an Energizer 30 minute quick recharging unit which I purchased at Sam’s and it came with some batteries. You can use regular "AA" in a pinch, but the NiMH last much longer, almost an entire 256MB card with the LCD on for macro. I also have extra Compact Flash Cards, (4) 256 MB, but I shoot a lot. It comes with a 16MB card which is definitely not enough. In the beginning I used to import my images via the USB cable connected to the camera and computer, but now use and most definitely recommend a card reader for that. I have a Sandisk card reader. If the batteries on the camera run low during the import to the computer when using the USB cable you can run the risk of losing images. Always best to use a card reader and it seems to be much faster.

I did have one minor problem which Minolta took care of via its warranty. The viewfinder window fogged over (I think only the very early models had that problem) and they took care of it promptly and they even extended my warranty for another 6 months, so I can’t complain. I’ve always used their cameras and have loved the results.

Thanks for your kind comments about my images. 🙂 I hope this helps you decide. I love this camera so much, I think I’d like another at the prices they’re going for now.

Barb
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Mar 3, 2004
Joe, thanks! 🙂

Barb
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 4, 2004
I think it’s important that it uses standard AA batteries and CF cards. I just bought a Canon Powershot A70 for my wife, and the thing that sold me on that camera was its use of AA and CF. That almost guarantees that you will never have an availability problem in those two crucial areas. If there are any other accessories that you want, I would suggest that you buy them immediately…that’s the stuff that disappears when a model leaves the market.
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 4, 2004
Bert, the A80 also takes AA’s – which is good, because my son would never find proprietary batteries in his college room….
🙂
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 4, 2004
Chuck,
A60, A70, A80..all basically the same camera, with 2, 3.2 and 4 megapixel CCD’s. Bert
D
Dimrilldell
Mar 4, 2004
Gateway is selling Minolta S414’s for $228.99. You can call Blake at Gateway at 1-800-846-2036, Ext.55026 and negotiate free shipping and a full credit for the sales tax. I’m pretty sure this is the best price at the moment for a new, in-the-box, S414 with a USA warranty.

I ordered one from Gateway to be shipped on Monday evening via UPS ground to Florida , and the UPS tracking web-site says it will be delivered Thursday (tomorrow).

Dim
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 4, 2004
I was just reading in a Steve’s digicam review that the Canon Powershot A70 is preferred over the S14. The price is a little higher…lowest I’ve seen is $269, but it’s not a discontinued model, if that’s worth anything.
Bert
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Mar 4, 2004
Thanks so much to everyone who wrote back! My order is in, and all fingers and toes crossed 🙂

Decided to stay with the Minolta based on what I have seen of Barb’s absolutely gorgeous photos. If I can do a 10th that well, I’ll be happy! Thanks, Barb, for the long review and advice. I purchased a couple of 512 flash cards and 2 sets of NiMH batteries with chargers. I rather like the physical layout of the Minolta in comparison to the Canon, even though I’m a Canon fan (and, yes, Chuck, I won’t be giving up my Canon A-1–still a super camera for horse photography).

Robert, I meant that some of the stores that were selling the Minolta two weeks ago are no longer stocking it now. And, I agree, that having a few extra parts on hand is a good thing.

Bert, I, too, like the fact that the camera can run on AA’s in a pinch. I have two rechargeable batteries for our office camera and have managed to zero out both of them while on the road without the bulky AC/DC adapter. I noted that the Canon A70 also uses AA’s.

Again, appreciate all the comments and advice from everyone!!

Marilyn
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 4, 2004
Marilyn,
I wasn’t really trying to push the A70. It’s smaller than the Minolta…which is what my wife wanted so it would fit in her purse. For my taste, it’s a little too small for my hands. I think the size of the Minolta is preferable. Otherwise, I think they are probably quite similar in features and performance. I looked for a review of the S414 on dpreview, but they didn’t have one. The A70 was "Highly Recommended" which influenced my purchase. They really do a good job on their reviews I think. I would never buy a camera without checking there. If you’ve never been there, here is the link
<http://www.dpreview.com>
Bert
LK
Leen_Koper
Mar 4, 2004
Bert, you are right, it is a wonderful camera.
I use the A70 for passport pictures, and my wife took it with her for holidays to Switserland. I could hardly believe the wonderful quality of the images she took, although she still had to read the manual during her flight.

Leen
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 4, 2004
Leen
My wife wanted a digital camera for her trip to Africa last November. I gave her some short tutorials and told her to read the manual. She did pretty well, except that she forgot about the zoom! So some of the images of wildlife are a little small. We’re going again this May, so she will have another chance.
I did some comparative shots with the A70 and my Olympus E-20…identical (as nearly as I could make them) photos in my back yard. The Oly is better, of course, but the A70 was surprisingly good.
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 4, 2004
Hey, Bert….wanted to mention one other difference between the A70 and A80 beside pixel dimensions: the A80 has the tilt-and-swivel LCD screen found on the G2/G3/G5. That was the deciding factor for me; I use that feature frequently on my G2.

Chuck
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Mar 5, 2004
Chuck,

That’s the one thing missing from the S414, the tilt & swivel LCD. I often sit under some of flowers to get the angle I want or hold the camera under them and guess the framing, I’ve become pretty proficient at that. It does make capturing the shots more of an adventure, something which I always enjoy! 🙂

Barb
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Mar 5, 2004
Marilyn and Dim,

That’s terrific news, you’re both getting the S414. 🙂 I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as much as I do. Have fun with it!

Barb
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 5, 2004
Chuck,
I didn’t know the A80 had that feature. But I rarely use the LCD for composing anyway…and Suzanne NEVER does. I have indoctrinated her to the fact that the LCD is a power hog that eats batteries, so she almost never turns it on.
If you leave it off, batteries last FOREVER! dpreview reviews gave the A70 about the longest battery life rating of any camera.
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 5, 2004
Bert, I’ve started using the LCD less and less; however, it’s a must for macro photos because of parallax. It’s also neat for taking snapshots over the heads of a crowd or a six-foot chain link fence – or the occasional self-portrait!

🙂

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 5, 2004
Barb, you could take beautiful photos with a homemade pinhole camera! 🙂
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Mar 5, 2004
however, it’s a must for macro photos because of parallax

Chuck,
Yeah, I know that. I use my Oly E-20 for closeup work…it’s an SLR. That’s one of the reasons I love SLR’s. WYSIWYG. Well, not quite true in the case of the E-20…it only shows about 90% of the image.
Bert

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections