Posted By
scb
Jun 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Gang,

It’s been said numerous times that working directly on an image can destroy pixels or cause loss of information, and that one should always work on a duplicate layer or use adjustment layers.

When working on a duplicate layer, aren’t the pixels modified or destroyed, and isn’t information sometimes lost? When flattening the layers isn’t the lost info saved, so it’s just like working on the original or background layer?

What happens to the original pixels when an adjustment layer is flattened to the original?

Thanks,

shel

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 14, 2005
What happens to the original pixels when an adjustment layer is flattened to the original?

they’re lost. when you intend to flatten, work on a duplicate of the original file. the point is you don’t ever want to be at a point where you can’t get back to start.

if you’re not flattening and intend to maintain all your layers, duping a layer and working on that dup is fine b/c if you mess up, you can just delete (the duplicate) it and you still have the original.
J
johntolliday
Jun 14, 2005
The idea is if you do something irreversible on the duplicate layer you always have the backup to fall back on. If the changes you have made show on the flattened file and that is the only copy you have then you have lost the original haven’t you?
L
LenHewitt
Jun 14, 2005
What happens to the original pixels when an adjustment layer is flattened
to the original?<<

Data is changed, lost and destroyed just as if all the work had been done on the background.

The point is adjustment layers allow you to change without altering the underlying data, so you can ditch the layer and start again or carry out further adjustments on that layer.

If you wish to preserve the original, work on a duplicate FILE not just a duplicate layer
D
deebs
Jun 14, 2005
Hi scb – I guess it depends upon what is being done and how important it is.

With creative stuff I try to avoid destroying or more correctly (?) losing data.

For flattening I always use save as and provide a different filename

Maybe it’s just a working preference?

Maybe it helps to think of a pixel as a 5-space element?

It has, say, x-y position and RGB values ~ (X, Y, R, G, B) for every pixel.

If there are 5 layers in a composite that usually means % lots of (X, Y, R, G, B) values. Only some of these values are displayed (it gets complicated).

I think that when an image is flattened it is only the visible pixels that are retained. All the other non-displayed data are dumped
D
deebs
Jun 14, 2005
Extremely excellent! For B) above read ‘B’ followed by ‘)’
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 14, 2005
Data is changed, lost and destroyed just as if all the work had been done on the background.

Not entirely true, though. Adjustment layers are cumulative. You can add as many adjustment layers as you want, with only cumulative damage. If you tried to do the same adjustments on a single layer, the damages would be worse.
D
deebs
Jun 14, 2005
Isn’t there some talk of ‘smart’ pixels?

Pixels with memory if my own serves me well?
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jun 15, 2005
The point here is that once you change your original file, you no longer have the data you started with. The preferred way to deal with this is to do your work on layers. When you’re satisfied with the result, flatten the image and save it under a different file name. Now you have both a flattened and smaller file size, but you stil keep the original layered file in case you want to change anything later.

You don’t throw out your negatives of decent work, neither shouold through out the digital equivalent of the negative of your project.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections