NC
Posted By
Nick_Cherry
Jul 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way I can use a gradient for transparency? For example, if I did a basic gradient from forecolor (black) to backcolor (white) could I set it up so that black = 100% opacity and white = 0% opacity?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 5, 2004
Yes. Use the gradient on a Layer Mask.
NC
Nick_Cherry
Jul 5, 2004
Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly would I go about doing that? I’m not very familiar with masks.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 5, 2004
At the bottom of the Layers Palette there is a little icon of a broken-line circle. Click on it and it will add a Layer Mask to the current layer (you can also go to Layer>Add Layer Mask. You will see a new thumbnail thing in the palette next to the image thumbnail. This is a Layer Mask, which is also a kind of channel. You can use it to mask out areas of the image on the layer.Black will mask to transparency; white will reveal to opacity.

PLEASE look up Layer Mask in your manual or Help and do a search for tutorials on Layer Masks on the internet. You need to know hoew to use this feature.
M
merge
Jul 5, 2004
Color + transparency is one of the many options you can choose when you are using the gradient tool (G) – look in the upper left in the tool bar options.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 5, 2004
Hmm. I was assuming from the question that Nick wanted to use the gradient to make an image fade to transparency. Was I wrong?
BG
barry_gray
Jul 5, 2004
He’ll want to use foreground to trans. on a mask as well, if he needs more than one gradient.
I.e. fade from right , left and bottom.
NC
Nick_Cherry
Jul 5, 2004
Thank you. I have achieved my goal and you have been very helpful.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections