Batch-Processing and Save for Web: impossible or not?

M
Posted By
Miraut
Jul 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I found one post that addressed this issue (Buko "batch does not work to overwrite files" 5/2/04 7:35pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>), but no one really had an answer. So:

Can you include a "Save for Web" step in an action and then batch process using that action without overwriting the same file over and over?

* If not, how can you automate Pshp to click the "Replace" button in the overwrite warning?

* If so, how do you include a Save for Web step in a batch?

I’m trying to batch process a fairly simple operation: open a file, trim the canvas, Save for Web at a JPEG setting of 65, then close (don’t save original) and move on. When I go to automate, I specify the source folder, then a destination folder and "Override Action ‘Save As’ Commands" and a new file name (doc name plus a simple suffix). This is all happening with both PS 7 and PS CS, btw.

* I see elsewhere that "Override Action ‘Save As’ Commands" only applies to "Save As", not to "Save for Web", so checking that box has no effect here, yes?

* I tried just "Save As" JPEG, but the resulting file was much, much larger than through Save for Web

* The closest I got to acheiving this was to allow Pshp to overwrite my files with the new Save for Web results. If this is the only solution, that’s okay because I can have it process on copies. But the problem is that the automation is interrupted with every image, demanding you confirm "Replace" of the image. Is there a way to get Pshp to automatically click the Replace button? Or perform a keystroke like return (same result)?

In a dream world, Save for Web would be treated the same as Save As, so you could rename and re-route files to different folders. But this is impossible, yes?

Any step-by-step ideas would be greatly appreciated. Or if this is just a blind spot in Pshp, I’d appreciate knowing that, too.

Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 3, 2004
It is totally possible to include Save for Web in an action. You shouldn’t have to click Replace as long as you are saving to a destination that doesn’t have those files in it already. Are you saving to a destination that has files with the same names in it alrady? Why?

Checking the Override box does indeed apply to Save for Web. If you specified a destination folder in the action that is different from the one you want to save to, you will want to override because otherwise your choice of destination in the Batch dialog will be ignored.

I have no problem doing this in 7. I’ll try CS next week (on vacation). Not sure why this is giving you problems.
BM
Brian_Mauger
Jul 28, 2004
I have a similar concern..
I am able to do the Save For Web step without trouble, however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my action to save the "Optimize to File Size" step. That step is not recorded to the Action at all.

I’ve tried this in ImageReady as well. The step is recorded (I can actually see it in the Actions Palette), but when run, the Action errors out saying "this function not available" — I forget the exact syntax.
It lets me complete any other steps in that Action, by the way..

Any thoughts?
-Brian

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections