KG
Posted By
Kristen Grant
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On Mac: Trying to paste from text edit hebrew and arabic text into photoshop cs. text pastes in backwards!! but somehow reads correctly in the layer properties. i have tried everything and i mean everything i can think of. been thru system prefs and international input method and language and all that. is this a cs issue? a panther issue? i’m at a loss, i want to cry and i pledge my undying love to any and all that can help!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Jul 2, 2004
Kristen,

You’re most likely going to need InDesign CS ME (Middle Esatern). I don’t know if Photoshop can do it. Let’s hear from the Adobe gurus,
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 4, 2004
No, you need the ME version of Phtooshop as well.

Most applications won’t handle Arabic or Hebrew correctly (or any other right to left script).
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 4, 2004
Phtooshop as well.

hmm..

new app coming out Chris?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 4, 2004
Do you mean that the text is like mirror writing?
Could you just flip the Type Layer to make it read correctly?
R
Ram
Jul 4, 2004
Ann,

πŸ™‚

Type something backwards in English, then flip the layer and see what happens. For instance, type "United Kingdom" as ‘modgniK detinU" and flip the layer.

πŸ™‚

That’s what would happen to Arabic text, except a lot worse, because Arabic characters change substantially when they link to the adjacent one.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 4, 2004
THAT was what I wanted to know: were Kristen’s glyphs being flipped or were they just appearing, with the correct orientation, but in the wrong order!

If it’s just a case of the characters being in the wrong order, she could just learn to type backwards — as you did in "modginK detniU" ?!
R
Ram
Jul 4, 2004
Ann,

It took me three edits to get "modginK detniU" right. πŸ™‚ Even if someone was willing to spend one hour per page, typing Arab WORDS backwards wouldn’t cut it. The ME programs allow for the changing glyphs as they link to the next one.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 4, 2004
It took me three edits to get "modginK detniU" right. >>

Make that FOUR!
Try "modginK detinU"!
:~)

(Actually I have come across several people who have the knack of spelling backwards instantaneously.)

But, in all seriousness, how many Arabic and Hebrew words does Kristen actually have to set in her Photoshop files? And how frequently?
R
Ram
Jul 4, 2004
Ann,

It was actually three edits only. I had edited the first post already for the third time (look at it now, it’s # 5) before typing my post # 7, in which I just pasted in the second edit which was still in my clipboard, uncorrected. πŸ™‚

Don’t discount Kristen, there are a bunch of Arabic speakers with non Arab names.
R
Ram
Jul 4, 2004
!sdrawkcab gnipyt hguoT

Even if it were only two words, the characters wouldn’t be linking properly, even when flipped individually, a monumental pain. Think ligatures.
R
remarkble
Jul 6, 2004
There are now Middle Eastern CS editions of Photoshop 8.0-ME, InDesign 3.0-ME and Illustrator 11.0-ME. Each has capability to handle bi-directional language text, such as Arabic or Farsi mixed with other languages.

Since Arabic is a complex, script-based language (with changing ligatures depending upon the character’s position within the word), it is not possible to handle Arabic backwards or in mirror. Think ‘ME’.
KG
Kristen Grant
Jul 12, 2004
Just wanted to thank everyone for all their input…
Yes I have a ton of Arab and Hebrew text and no, I don’t know how to type nor speak either. I was just hoping I wouldn’t have to go through an additional version of a program to make this work but what can you do?
after crying a little i’ll stick to pasting paths….cheers!
J
jonf
Jul 13, 2004
Make that FOUR! Try "modginK detinU"!
:~)

Five … that would be "modgniK detinU"

πŸ˜‰

I guess the moral is that typing backwards is probably not a very good option.
R
Ram
Jul 13, 2004
Make that THREE. Read post # 9, then # 5 again.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 13, 2004
Perhaps we need to revert to the boustrophedonic mode of the earliest writing so we can type backwards and forwards on alternate lines and then we wouldn’t need regional versions of Photoshop?
KU
ken_upham
Jul 14, 2004
!pu em kcarc lla’y ,nΓ³maR dna nnA
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 14, 2004
Unfortunately I never
tset gnihguolp-nexo ym dessap
so I am not too good at typing boustrophedonically.
KG
Kristen Grant
Jul 15, 2004
come on guys… i didn’t want to start a war here…
in the words of elvis costello…
"what’s so funny ’bout peace love and understanding?" bring back the love!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2004
No war here Kristen — I think you must be thinking of a different thread?!

Not unless my oxen-plough ran someone over.
PT
Paul_Tracy
Jul 15, 2004
what’s so funny ’bout peace love and understanding?

Them would be the words of Nick Lowe.
M
MarkATS
Jul 15, 2004
Them would be the words of Nick Lowe.

Really? Is the Elvis Costello song a cover, or did Nick write the lyrics?
M
MarkATS
Jul 15, 2004
Nevermind…

A little something about Nick Lowe
Nick Lowe’s recording career has been a long, if not entirely fruitful one. He and early collaborator Dave Edmunds sold some records under the name Rockpile, including the sinlge "Teacher Teacher." He wrote and recorded "What’s So Funny ‘Bout (Peace Love And Understanding)," which would later be popularized by Elvis Costello. And he had a few minor hits under his own name, including 1979’s "Cruel to be Kind." While Nick Lowe the recording artist hasn’t exactly become a household name, Nick Lowe the producer was a key ingrediant to the success of many bands in the 1970s and 1980s. Lowe produced the Damned’s first album, Damned Damned Damned, as well as their first singles. He moved from punk to new wave, working extensively with Elvis Costello through the 1980s. He also recorded the first single of an American band trying to make it in London during the early ’80s, the Pretenders. Lowe’s own recordings have continued into the 90s. He worked with Ry Cooder on Little Village in 1992, and his last solo effort was released in 1998.
KG
Kristen Grant
Jul 15, 2004
ok…ok…so i suck…not only can i not cut and paste hebrew and arabic but i have no knowledge of nick lowe…so glad it took a photoshop thread to set me straight…
by any chance is he related to rob??? (just kidding!) need a drink….

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections