Posted By
Steve_Serowka
Jul 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I wonder if you guys could help me out on this one?

I have a CMYK image (3-D logotype) that I want to reduce to two colour (cyan & black). To complicate matters I want to take the magenta channel, convert to black and combine it with the existing black channel. The yellow channel I want to delete completely.

I managed to get the kind of effect I wanted and deleted the magenta/yellow channels with left me with a PS file that I couldn’t save as a tif or eps, which I need to place in InDesign.

Using Photoshop 7 in OSX.3

Any tips would be gratefully welcomed.

Steve

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RW
Rene_Walling
Jul 1, 2004
You basivcally have two choices:

Start with the CMYK file, and using the channel mixer, add the magenta to the black plate and reduce the Magenta and yellow down to zero. This will give you four plates, but only two will have something on them.

The other option is to convert the file to multichannels, remove the magenta and yellow and save as a DCS 2 file. This will give you twonplates, Black and Cyan.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jul 1, 2004
Option 3…. Pretty much the same as the first option above but may be a little eaasier for beginners.

Select all and Copy on the Magenta channel

New Document > greyscale > Paste

Back to original > Select all and copy on the Black channel

Paste in the new document you created. Change blend mode of the top layer to "Darken"

Select all Copy visible (Command-shift-c)

Back to original document > Select all on the magenta channel > Delete

Select all on the black channel > Delete > Paste

Select all on the yellow channel > Delete

That will merge the M and K and leave you with a CMYK document with no data on the M and Y channels.
SS
Steve_Serowka
Jul 2, 2004
Thank you guys! Option one gave me the result I was looking for, although I’m sure all the suggestions would have been workable. Sometimes I think we look for a more complicated solution to a simple problem… it’s heart warming to know that there are people out there that are willing to share their knowledge for the benefit of all.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections