Posted By
Kuock
Jun 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everybody,

I’ve got Photoshop 7 and can’t open/import BMP images.

When I try to open any BMP file, the dialog box is empty.

I can open/import other formats but not the Windows’ standard.

I think this is quite weird…

Help me if you can please

Thank you

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
D._Craig_Flory
Jun 11, 2005
Do you have .bmp as a format that your Photoshop will recognize? When you first installed it, Photoshop had a box come up asking you to check off formats. You might have not checked it off for bitmaps. Do you remember if you do or not ? And, will your bmp’s open in other programs like MS Paint? If so , then it is probably your installation setup.

Craig Flory
K
Kuock
Jun 11, 2005
Thank you for your reply, Craig,

I can open bmp files in Paint.

How can I know if my Photoshop recognizes the bmp format? in Preferences I don’t see it.

I’ve worked with bmp files before using the same Photoshop.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Jun 11, 2005
To work with BMP files, you need to have BMP.8BI in Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\File Formats (this is where it goes in CS and CS2, don’t know for 7).
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Jun 11, 2005
Kuock,

if you install PhS7 by default settings, then the BMP filter will be installed. If you use custom settings then there is IMO a minor confusion how the checked options are interpreted.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Jun 12, 2005
Just out of curiosity, are you double clicking on a .bmp and expecting it to open in Photoshop? Or are you using File>Open and navigating to the image?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections