SP
Posted By
steve_peters
Jun 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have had several jobs now where I am trying to combine several different exposures. Every time the photographer has used a tripod, but every time I try to get them to match up in photoshop, I have a hard time. If I get both the left and the right side elements to line up, the middle we be out of wack. There is no combination of scaling horizontally or vertically that can give me a match up across the whole image. Most of these where either shot on 4×5 or 2.25. They where scanned using the Imacon 880. Any suggestions?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 29, 2004
If you put one film on top of another, do they fit?
(you may want to make a contact neg of one to check with another)
J
JimGoshorn
Jun 29, 2004
I find the same thing with respect to lining up images. Since you are dealing with emulsions which can shrink or swell and running them through the Imacon which bends the images along it’s virtual drum scheme it is not surprising. When doing multiple scans of the same image I come up against the same problem.

What I have tried to do is line up the area(s) that won’t be masked off from the additional image and let the rest of the image fall where it may. If you still can’t match all the image parts you want, you could try copying the sections of the additional image to different layers and lining them up seperately.

I would be glad to hear of an easier way but this has been the best I have come up with to this point.

Jim
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 30, 2004
For the images to match perfectly, the axis of rotation of the camera must be somewhere on the plane of the film. Some special tripods exists for that, but your average camera tripod does not allow for that to happen and the result is "off" images because of slight differences in the perspective of each image.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections