Posted By
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

OK, here’s my question in a new post. Thanks for being patient with me.

How to I make a collage page? I had Photo Deluxe and did it there, but I can’t figure out how to do it in PE! 🙁 (You would think if you search for collage in PE that it would bring up the instructions.) I did try to find it on my own. 🙂

Barb

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
Barb, first thing I do is make sure all my images are the same resolution ( you can check the resolution of your image by going to toolbar>image>image size>resize…something like that…) I generally print at 300 resolution. So then I create a ‘new’ document the size I wish to print which for me is 8.5 X 11 but that is for an edge to edge ( full bleed ) printer….otherwise stick to 8 X 10 at the same resolution as you chose for your images. I always chose ‘transparent’ as well. Then you can bring in your images and drag them on to your new canvas….go to toolbar>window>tile to make it easier for you and have your images side by side. Use the ‘move’ tool and drag your image to the canvas. What’s nica about this method is that all your images will be on seperate layers so you can move them around and edit etc… Add text…blah blah blah and your done. There is not limit to what you want to put on your page.
BB
Barbara_Butts
Dec 11, 2003
Hi Jodi,

Glad you’re on the same time I am. Thanks for the prompt reply. OK, got it. I’ll copy your info and give it a try.

"and text…blah blah blah and your done"–(your quote). Let’s hope so! 🙂

Thanks a lot,

Barb
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Jodi, one shortcut that I’ve adopted at times: don’t worry about getting all the images to the same resolution. If they’re a different resolution, they’ll appear larger or smaller when dragged onto the blank canvas. Since I usually have to resize them anyway to fit into a collage, I figure I may as well just do that once using the Move tool. Does that make sense?

Chuck
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
Chuck, I’ve used that one myself for small adjustments, but for some reason I’m always hesitant to use it too liberally. Also remember that some people who’ve never done this before might get carried away with this helpful household hint. 72ppi to 300? That might be a bit much! 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Beth, as with so many things we discuss here, it’s not the ppi that matters, it’s the pixel dimensions. A 300 ppi 8 x 10 canvas will be 2400 pixels by 3000 pixels. If I drop a 1600 pixel by 1200 pixel image on top of it, it will consume the same space whether it’s a 72 ppi image or a 300 ppi image – so long as the pixel dimensions stay the same (no resampling). You might want to try it to prove it to yourself…!

Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
Chuck, i know what you are saying. I guess i just get used to doing things certain ways.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
You’re right about the pixel dimensions, but still, could you imagine the panic of a newbie when an image that size completely covered their entire collage?! 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Jodi, my only concern with the ppi approach is that if you change only the ppi of a picture without resampling, then drag it onto the new canvas, it’ll be exactly the same size it would have been before you changed the ppi. Just extra work for nuttin’….

😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
Actually Chuck, it really just works better for me to resize my images to fit the new canvas. I know exactly what I’m getting this way….so it’s either re-size first or mess with moving the images and dragging them to make them smaller etc… so, it really depends on the ‘way’ we want to work

work it baby …work it 😉
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Beth, that’s true, but changing only the ppi won’t change the size of the image being copied onto the blank canvas unless it’s with resample checked on…and then it might actually make it a whole lot bigger!

Now if you and Jodi are saying to change the inch dimensions AND the ppi with resample checked on, I agree totally! That’s a good approach; you can definitely figure out your collage much easier in inches than in pixels (unless you’ve abandoned inches totally like some of us….!)!!
DH
Dave Hamer
Dec 11, 2003
To create a collage, I just use Photomerge, it works great.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections