H
Posted By
HIcks
Jun 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have cut out the background of a Motorbike that will be used for a mobile stand. The Die will cut out this image so I need to bleed on it.

Is there anything in Photoshop that will bleed out the edge of an automaticaly? without me haveing to go round and use the clone tool or something like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BL
Bob Levine
Jun 9, 2005
Seems to me that the printer should be able to handle that for you. Have you asked?

Bob
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jun 9, 2005
You can just increase the whole image slightly, 3mm arround all edges should do, but realy you should start your graphic with bleed in mind.
H
HIcks
Jun 9, 2005
Thanks guys but we may be getting a little mixed up.

The image was supplyed to me. A Honda Superbike. A have been asked to make a mobile stand actual size of this bike.

I cut out the bike from the rest of the picture. I have now used the path I created in photoshop to cut the image out as the die cut by exporting it into indesign. Now all I want to do is bleed the colour pixels of where I cut out the image by 5mm, so I dont get a white edge when they are cut out. I know I could just decrease the size of the die cut but I thought that photoshop might be able to do it so I dont lose any of the detail in the image.

Bob. Does the printer do this? I thought that I had to supply the die cut on a different layer?

I guess lossing 5mm from the bike image wont be noticeable, but is anyway that photoshop does this without me having to go round with a clone tool?
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 9, 2005
I would call the printer and tell him what you’ve done. See what he says.

I’ve done zero tolerance jobs before. They’re a bit tougher for the printer but you don’t have any extra pixels here to cut off.

Bob
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Jun 9, 2005
Hlcks,

PhS: Select / Modify / Contract n pixels
creates a smaller path inside a contour path.
This can be used for cutting.
5mm is probably too much but ‘zero tolerance’ might
be bad for cutting (probably good for anti-smoker,
anti-drinker and anti-eater campaigns …).

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jun 9, 2005
reduce the size of your key line for the cutter by 5mm
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 9, 2005
If you do that, you’re going to cut off part of the bike. It’s going to look like crap.

Bob
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jun 9, 2005
thats why when you make anything that may goto print, you have to take this into consideration whilst making the graphic. But im sure depending on the size, just reducing the cutter guide a little would be fine, i have had to do this in the past, but always design everything that might goto print with relevant bleed now.
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Jun 9, 2005
SELECT /MODIFY / CONTRACT n PIXELS
CREATES AN OFFSET PATH INSIDE THE ORIGINAL PATH
WHICH CAN BE USED AS A VECTOR PATH FOR THE CUTTING
PLOTTER. THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED (shouting).

G.H.
H
HIcks
Jun 10, 2005
Guys,

Thanks for you input but I already know how do offset/inset a vector path or magic wand path. This is not what I want to achive.

I simple want to bleed of the outer pixes of an image that has been cut out. Whether it be a bike plant pot or human figure. I thought Photoshop might have a tool/filter/plugin that does this that I dont know about.

Any ideas?

Thanks
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 10, 2005
You’d have to do it manually. Try playing with the clone tool on a new layer.

Bob
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Jun 10, 2005
Hlcks,

I would ask the printer, how many millimeters the
cutting contour should be inside the image contour.
If printing and cutting is done on the same machine
and the recommended offset is 0.2 millimeters, then
your attempts to add bleed, created from ‘nothing’,
are probably obsolete.

JM
John Mensinger
Jun 10, 2005
Hicks…I don’t know if this will help, but faced with your problem, I’d try something like this: Duplicate the bike layer and apply a blur to the "behind" copy…gaussian might work, but I’d also try radial…experimenting with the settings to get the "spread" of edge pixels you’re looking for. Don’t worry much about a precise distance. You can always trim off excess if necessary by loading your path as a selection and expanding it by the desired distance, (then invert & delete). You say you’re going for 5mm, but I suspect 3 would be plenty.
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Jun 10, 2005
For this vinyl cutter
<http://www.signwarehouse.com/cutters/gr/fc5100.htm> the repeatability is specified by 0.1mm / 2m .
The image is printed by any plotter with registration
marks which are detected by the vinyl cutter.
The angle of the blade is actively positioned, which
allows sharp corners.
Software by Scanvec-Amiable (Google) contains probably
the generation of offset curves – then it wouldn’t be
necessary at all to make these by PhS.

H
HIcks
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks guys for all your input!

Thanks John Mensinger, that is a great idea! Thats exactly what I wanted to do. Its not 100% accurate but its enough to beat a micoscope. I cant belive I didnt think of that. Thanks again! God bless Gaussian Blur! ha!

Thanks again guys
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Jun 11, 2005
Hlcks,

please do me a favour: ask your printer/cutter what he really expects.
Many years ago I had experimented a little with plotter/ cutter software by Scanvec-Amiable. As far as I remember, the program can find the contour of an image without knowing the contour path explicitely. This would hardly be possible if the contours are blurred. An offset of 0.2mm in inside direction for the cutting path is IMO agreeable – if the system should work as accurate.

H
HIcks
Jun 11, 2005
Ok Gernot, I will ask.

This Job is for one of our customers. I have sent the disk containing a eps file, of the bike, to the printers that our customer uses.

I have not sent the die cut (path layer) for this mobile stand because I had a lot of other documents to put togteher on the disk for this promotion. So I will be interested, as you are Gernot, how the printers will cut the mobile stand out of this bike. Our customer needs a mock-up of all the material for this promotion to be produced done by this Thursday.

I will call them to see how they will cut the image out and let you know.

Hlcks
H
HIcks
Jun 13, 2005
Gernot

I had to send an Illusrator Path for the die cut by email Gernot. The printer needed the path to make the die.

Thanks everyone for youe input on this.

Hlicks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections