SW
Posted By
Scott_Weichert
Jun 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There was some discussion here about the set of Machine Wash "Filters" offered from Mr. Retro . com.

I purchased this set of "filters" and would simply like to point out to others that the product is not a filter package. It’s an action. Specifically two actions that use various pdf files and apply a layer mask to a given layer. That’s it.

In my world, "filter" indicates the ability to dynamically alter the applied effect before it’s applied. The Machine Wash "Filters" do not offer this functionality.

I’m returning mine.

Do yourself a favor, simply search Google for patterns relating to rust, errosion, decaying, broken textures and just copy and apply them as a layer mask. That will achieve the same results.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Jun 29, 2004
Quite frankly, Scott, it smelled a little funny to me after my cursory investigation.

I looked at every example and said to myself: "Self, you can already manage similar and better effects already, and pretty quickly, using the native tools and some simple textures."

Maybe the rookies like this stuff. Power to the producer of Machine Wash if he can make some bux on it.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jun 29, 2004
From the product description, I assumed it would be a "time saving" dynamically controllable filter too. Thanks for the info, Scott.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 29, 2004
At first it did sound a little fishy. I knew a lot of this could be accomplished with layer masks. My thoughts were.. well, if I could dynamically alter the effect as I was applying it that would be much more beneficial than just adding a layer mask. unfortunately the product turned out to be nothing more than a CD full of texture images and two – six step – actions that could be written in 5 minutes or less.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 29, 2004
You should maybe post it at PST, Scott…
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 29, 2004
They get really testy and defensive when you ask to return them too.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections