Posted By
Brahm
Jun 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PC

When I control click to grab an item that is in a folder, only the folder layer will highlight, in wont actually highlight the object I am clicking on.

Big problems when I have a hundred layers inside a folder and I am control clicking to find the specific layer.

Is this a preference I can set somewhere I hope?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 9, 2005
click the thumbnail, not the layer name area.
B
Brahm
Jun 9, 2005
I may not have explained good enough…

I am clicking a graphic/object/item in the actual workspace, and it is highlighting the folder over in the layers menu… I need it to highlight the exact layer, not its parent folder.

If I click on a graphic in the workspace that ISNT in folders, it works correctly (selects teh exact layer of the related object I am clicking on)

So in essence I need to cntrl click on the workspace to find the layer of what I am clicking on.

Hope I’m explaining properly, thanks again!
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 9, 2005
ah yes. i’m not sure, but i think i read how that’s changed. search the forum you should find a thread.
R
Rastamon
Jun 9, 2005
I may be way off, but how about right-clicking?
B
Brahm
Jun 9, 2005
Right clicking is a little better, it provides a menu of possible choices to select from within the menu, my goal is to click and see the layer in the layer menu, which works as described if the layers arent in subfolders.

I see it working fine on someones MAC and I get more upset… hehehe…

Any further insight appreciated.

Again, need to click on workspace and just see what layer I am clicking on in the layer menu (not just the parent folder where the item is buried).

Thanks all!
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 9, 2005
have you tried the modifier keys crtl, alt or shift while clicking? also try them while right clicking. i KNOW someone knows about this as there was a thread on it recently, i can’t find it though…
B
Brahm
Jun 10, 2005
Hey Dave thanks for putting up with my ignorance here buddy.

Just tried all modifiers, again that right click brings up a nifty menu, but still a chore if I dont know the name of my layer or what folder I put it under.

I also searched valiantly thru the forums with no luck.
TM
Trevor_Morris
Jun 10, 2005
Yup. I don’t know of any way around this except to right-click on the document window and select the layer by name (even if that means guessing! 😉 ).
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 10, 2005
no problem brahm. just floating your topic to the top… i don’t know much about it either, just that i read a thread about it. I think trervor was involved in the other thread on this, weren’t you trevor? so that was the windup?

think one of the adobe guys might have any more insight or is that it? was it purposely left out or was it an oversight (like the window tiling in CS)?
B
Brahm
Jun 10, 2005
Well now I’m really crying because a MAC guy was the one who pointed out that it wasnt working (assuming thsi is how it works on his?)… argh!

🙂

Thanks for floating me Dave.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 10, 2005
Have a look at post #1 of this thread.

gord garwood, "CTRL Click on Image – Folder Problem" #, 1 Jun 2005 8:05 am </cgi-bin/webx?14>

Terri
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 10, 2005
Also, I gathered the different in-image layer targeting methods here: < http://photoshoptechniques.com/forum/showthread.php?p=123398>
FF
Frank_Feder
Jun 10, 2005
Brahm,

As an alternative, you can uncheck the ‘Auto Select Groups’ check box in the Move tool options bar. This will emulate CS behavior.

I like the CTRL+ALT+Right Click option better, as it works even when ‘Auto Select Layers’ is unchecked. Thanks Iain and Pierre for the tip!

Frank
TM
Trevor_Morris
Jun 10, 2005
Frank! That’s the ticket! By default, Auto Select Layer [ASL] is turned off, but Auto Select Groups [ASG] is turned on (but disabled by the off state of ASL).

So, the trick is to temporarily turn on ASL (to enable the ASG option), turn off ASG, and then turn ASL off again.

Voila!
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 11, 2005
Thanks Frank, also, I didn’t even try the ASG! I will amend my Post at PST!
B
Brahm
Jun 13, 2005
This is HUGE! Thank you!

Ctrl Alt Right Click was the simple answer I craved.

I will leave this thread as answered in this way as I have trained myself to only move things that are highlighted by layer, so the AutoSelect Layer was a very dangerous place I dare not venture… hehehe…

Thank you all!!
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 14, 2005
nice one guys!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections