D
Posted By
Dr._Bryan_Grieg_Fry
Jun 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I try to import .ps files to photoshop, I get an error that says ‘this file uses one or more fonts which are unavailable on this machine. Rasterise anyway?’

I’m sure the solution is simple but I cannot figure out how to get it to work.

Thanks heaps
Bryan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 28, 2004
Install the fonts used in the PostScript on your machine, or Distill the Postscript and rasterize the resulting PDF
D
Dr._Bryan_Grieg_Fry
Jun 28, 2004
The fonts are already installed on my machine and the problem with distilling and then rasterising is loss of image quality.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Bryan
R
Ram
Jun 28, 2004
Bryan,

Sorry, but I’m trouble following you.

What exactly do you mean by a ".ps" file? A PostScript file (which is essentially a text file)? An eps file? A ".psd" Photoshop file? A ".pdf" file?

From the error message you described, it sounded like you were dealing with a Photoshop psd file that contained some text in a text layer set in a font you don’t have installed or activated in your system. Or it could be an eps file, which has to be rasterized upon opening in Photoshop.

Also, what do you mean by "importing"? Are you just opening the file? Placing it in an existing document?
R
Ram
Jun 28, 2004
It would be helpful if you describe how the files were created in the first place. (Platform, application, file format.)
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 28, 2004
The fonts are already installed on my machine and the problem with distilling and then rasterising is loss of image quality.

Check your distiller settings.

It is possible to distill without compressing or downsizing images (therefore, no loss of quality).

As for the fonts being installed, obviously they are not (or you are missing the PostScript version) or you would not be getting a message saying they are missing. If you are using a font management software, are you sure the necessary fonts are activated?
D
Dr._Bryan_Grieg_Fry
Jun 28, 2004
Where does photoshop look for the fonts?

Cheers
Bryan
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 28, 2004
Photoshop accesses the active fonts on your system and no others.

Why don’t you try typing something in a blank file to see if Photoshop can access the ones you need?

edit: If you are using OSX, check this link out: <http://www.gballard.net/macrant/fonts.html>
D
Dr._Bryan_Grieg_Fry
Jun 29, 2004
Photoshop can type in the same fonts no worries so ???????????????

Cheers
Bryan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections